Steel Cage Smackdown: Rabbit vs Dog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omg! Bun rules the roost it looks like!

I can't tell if your bunny is playing but if not, don't mind me asking but why are you putting yourmdog in there? It doesn't look like either are having fun...unless I'm missing something...lol....

Um...is your bunny lunging and biting your dog? And your dog is being prevented from getting out? Just asking :?

I don't think this is her video? She doesn't have a rabbit called Juice in her profile.

Anyway..I agree with you guys; it's mean shutting the poor dog in with an aggressive rabbit, where he can't even escape. :/

Anaira wrote:
I don't think this is her video? She doesn't have a rabbit called Juice in her profile.

Ummm.....we're all boys here.

Not my dog, not my bunny. But my understanding is that they are introducing the animals to each other.

I found these posters by a video showing their dog refusing to eat rabbit meat after befriending the bunny. Previously rabbit meat was part of the dogs diet, but after meeting the bunny he refused to eat rabbit.

Ape337 wrote:
Um...is your bunny lunging and biting your dog? :?

Anaira wrote:
Anyway..I agree with you guys; it's mean shutting the poor dog in with an aggressive rabbit, where he can't even escape. :/

What video are you watching? Clearly the rabbit, being a prey animal, is terrified and having a heart attack, that is the only interpretation possible, at least so sayeth the RABBIT EXPERTS that I've seen post here.

Here's a video of my poor bunnies out on their leashless walk being terrified by a dog, running into the street and getting hit by a car, just like the RABBIT EXPERTS that I've seen post here predicted would happen. IF ONLY I HAD LISTENED TOTHEIR SUPERIOR WISDOM! MY POOR BUNNIES!

Well, a link will not post, so go to YouTube and BunBun Rwa to see "BunBun Rwa & Booger vs The Dog".

Ape337 wrote:

Oops, yep I didn't notice it wasn't her animals. Sorry :(
HEY! I have NOT been neutered!

What video are you watching? Clearly the rabbit, being a prey animal, is terrified and having a heart attack, that is the only interpretation possible, at least so sayeth the RABBIT EXPERTS that I've seen post here.

^^^huh?? The video you posted is not of a terrified rabbit. Scared maybe? But defending it's territory and attacking.

Here's a video of my poor bunnies out on their leashless walk being terrified by a dog, running into the street and getting hit by a car, just like the RABBIT EXPERTS that I've seen post here predicted would happen.  IF ONLY I HAD LISTENED TO THEIR SUPERIOR WISDOM!  MY POOR BUNNIES!

Well, a link will not post, so go to YouTube and BunBun Rwa to see "BunBun Rwa & Booger vs The Dog".

^^^^Huh again?? Is this a joke? Not a video I would want to see.......

You don't introduce animals to each other in a small space like that.

And the dog wants to get away & the person stops him.

Very immature stuff.

The rabbit is obviously not biting him or the dog would have made a sound. Dogs don't speak bunny so e probably didn't realize the bun was attacking him. The dog doesn't seem harmed and is pretty much just like wtf... i wouldn't introduce in confined space but i guess it worked for them.My shar pei isn't small animal friendly either so...... The bunny run over video is a joke!

BunBuns Human, you've got some great videos on YouTube.

The one posted here isn't yours, I know, and while the info about introducing rabbits to the dogs and having them turn down rabbit is fascinating. I do agree with L. Condo, it's too small of a space, not a great scenario. Juvenile. The bunny deserves not to have his private space invaded, the dog deserves not to get his butt bitten. Introduce them elsewhere.

But you own vids are cool. My Mikey runs around my yard with a harness but with no one hanging on to the leash, a few people get excited, bunny slaves can be pretty protective. He's a happy rabbit. He did take off after a skunk one day though. :shock:

And I had a group of smaller rabbits in an ex-pen with three of us sitting beside it once when a husky or malamute came by on a leash and made a beeline for the pen actually dragging his handler. :shock: :shock: That was a close call. He would have been unstoppable without the leash. Mades me a lot more cautious.

But I also chuckle when somebody comes to the door and sees the rabbits and tries to block them from 'escaping'. I tell them they know their home and their human. Or when they think I'm keeping my cat from going in a room to protect the rabbit when its the cat that's going to get wupped, LOL!

Anyway, welcome to RO. :)

sas :bunnydance:

Oops; sorry Bunbun's Human. :p I'm used to 95% of the members on forums I'm on being female, so I usually assume someone is female, if there's nothing in their profile to indicate otherwise. I haven't 'met' you round the forum before(welcome, btw!) so just assumed.

Anyway, I didn't read the comments; so just from the way they did the video(with the titles, and everything) it looked like they were doing it for fun, which seemed rather borderline for me, because the dog wasn't enjoying it.

edit; also, I find it really interesting he refused to eat rabbit meat after that.

Anaira wrote:
also, I find it really interesting he refused to eat rabbit meat after that.
Yes, I found that to be a very interesting insighton what goes on in that dog's head.

Once he befriended that bunny, bunnys were people and not food. Raw meat is an awfully strong temptation for a dog and yet he consistantly refused it. That is more "humanity" than a lot of people show.

Not judging the pros and cons of the dog rabbit introduction, just tossing it out there as an example for those in a similar situation to peruse.

Obviously it worked. Obviouslythe video was made tongue in cheek. And obviously there is a lot more to the situation than shown.

Pipp wrote:
BunBuns Human, you've got some great videos on YouTube.

Anyway, welcome to RO. :)

Thanks. A bit more stuff at BunBun's Facebook page.

Pipp wrote:

He did take off after a skunk one day though. :shock:

But I also chuckle when somebody comes to the door and sees the rabbits and tries to block them from 'escaping'. I tell them they know their home and their human. Or when they think I'm keeping my cat from going in a room to protect the rabbit when its the cat that's going to get wupped, LOL!

Yep. BunBun actually took off after a cat about three days ago. Surprised me when he actually broke off the chaseand came when I called him. There is a bigger story with that incident though which I'll go into later. A week or so earlier he went up to that cat hiding under a carfor a stare down and wouldn't leave it alone. My previous rabbit would terrorise my cat and physically abuse it,and that cat had its claws and outweighed the rabbit.

Pipp wrote:

And I had a group of smaller rabbits in an ex-pen with three of us sitting beside it once when a husky or malamute came by on a leash and made a beeline for the pen actually dragging his handler. :shock: :shock: That was a close call. He would have been unstoppable without the leash. Mades me a lot more cautious.

Training and threat assesment are vital. BunBun and I have close to 2000 hours of outdoor leashless time together on top of the fact that he lived as a wild rabbit for two months. He has his street creds.

And leashing your rabbit does not make things safe. If a dog does attack, if you can pick up your rabbit, then what do you do if the dog continues to attack you and the rabbit?And penning or leashing a rabbit can prevent it fromeffectively escaping a dog on its own. No dog in BunBun's hood has a chance in hell of ever catching him.With me, if a dog or cat wants to push things past a certain pont, there will be a dead dog or cat. Been there, done that; no bunnies or humans harmed.

Once again the lads have a facedown with The Dog:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaijlI3J6Lc&feature=channel&list=UL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaijlI3J6Lc&feature=channel&list=UL[/ame]

That was a cute video.

Seriously though, arent you scared of your rabbits just running off?

I have a hard time putting mine in my own backyard without an xpen..

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
Seriously though, arent you scared of your rabbits just running off?

No. If they run anywhere, they run home and into the house. That is how rabbits are when properly trained andfamiliarized with their 'home territory'.

A rabbit may go for an unauthorized walk, but it will not 'run off'. Now that I walk BunBun as much as he wants, he does not even try to go for unauthorized walks. The boys prefer my company to being by themselves, they come to me without being called. Apparently they are quite aware of what I would do to a dog that attempted to give them any real grief. Rabbits can be very perceptive about things.

BunBun is actually quite well trained and knows exactly what 'come' means. Being a rabbit though,he may or may not obey. He also knows what the COMMAND 'skedaddle' means AND he knows that if he ignores that, very bad things from his perspective start happening immediately. He may go to slink under a fence into a back yard, but he does stop and turn back when he hears skedaddle.

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
I have a hard time putting mine in my own backyard without an xpen..

It does depend on the rabbit and the owner. BunBun was living as a wild rabbit for two months before he first came up to me andwould allow me to pick him up. He has bonded quite closely to me. We have quite a bit of time outside together with no leash and no treats to bribe his behavior. Inside I'll modify his behavior with treats, outside it is pure BunBun Rwa. And BunBun knows that the only place that he has ever found anything as tasty as his beloved bananas, pears, apples and peaches are in his food bowl. INSIDE.THE.HOUSE.

He alsohas functional ears, which are very important for a rabbit's situational awareness. A lop would be at a severe disadvantage outside. You do have to assess the potential problems in your neighborhood before undertaking certain activities with your bunny.

^Yea, I get all that, but as you stated him being a rabbit he may or may not obey. To each his own, i'm too much of a chicken I guess.

Latest posts

Back