STASIS QUESTION

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltflower

Reaction score
Is it possible for a rabbit with constant fresh orchard grass hay, always a bowl of purified water, acceptable greens, extremely limited bits of fruit as a treat, and toys, is it possible to get stasis out of nowhere and for no apparent reason? I simply cannot imagine why this happened and my little boy did not get well and died last Thursday. He died in his pen right after I gave him the cisapride.

Sorry for your loss. Sometimes there`s nothing we can do.

It sure can happen. As I see it, rabbits are rather fragile creatures, whatever problems there are, it seems their evolutionary strategy is to just outbreed all of them. Dying of a hickup at age 3 - fine, still a success, already ancestor of 420 grand-, grandgrand-.... bunnies. I would say stasis is a symptom of any of a plethora of underlying issues, combined with them hiding pain it's sometimes is too late to figure out what's going on, or to do something about it.

I meant add that he never stopped eating. He loved water and emptied the bowl every day. What made me alert to something was wrong is that he hadn't drunk his water. And throughout his illness which was about two weeks he never would touch water. I did fluids of course and fluids by mouth. He never ate pellets again or drink water but ate greens enthusiastically and once in awhile some hay. If I could just figure out why this happened I might feel a little better.

Back