Stargazers rabbit blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazerLily

Reaction score
After a week with the newest edition, Nebula, I felt the strong desire to start a blog, mostly about the adventures of a growing flemish giant and his two friends, a holland lop, and a polish dwarf mix, and the whole host of animals in this household. Now let me introduce the cast of characters so you will have a reference when I mention names:

Nebula - black flemish giant (the baby). Nebby is only 2 months old at this point and has a lot of growing to do. At this young age, he already out weighs the two other rabbits in the house hold. He is quite a character. Loving, sweet, adventerous, and I believe the ring leader. His name should be Houdini.

Orion - tort holland lop. He is about a year and a half old, and the rabbit I've had the longest. He is a lover, and very goofy with his lop ears that constantly cover his eyes. He is also the most laid back rabbit in the world and wouldn't hurt a flea. Despite being thrown down the stairs many times by his previous owners 3 yr old, he loves kids and human contact.

Galaxy - a red eyed white polish dwarf mix. He is the oldest of the bunch at almost 4 yrs old. His history is unknown as he came from the shelter. We do know he is an owner surrender, who was given up after the child in the family became tired of him. Galaxy is the shy, quiet type. He chose Orion to be his friend, and it was almost love at first sight. Orion and Galaxy were bonded after 2 short weeks. Galaxy is not too fond of humans, but will come up to you for a treat, and occationally let you pet him.

Other characters:

Mercury - 5 yr old blue (or dark lilac) lynx point cat. Has multiple health issues (bad heart, FLUTD), but is the sweetest cat. Very vocal, the boss of the house.

Venus - 3 yr old blue point cat (possible tonkinese mix). Shy, reserved, a one person cat.

Aurora - the baby at 4 1/2 months. She is a seal lynx point and white cat, a Birman wanna be. Loves the rabbits and can often be found playing with them when they are out. She is also my show cat.

Patriot, Artemis, Augusta and Polaris - the rats. Two girls, two boys, all around 6 months old.

Now that you know the zoo crew, stay tuned for their adventures.

Nebula has been quite the Houdini lately. It doesn't drive me nuts, just makes me laugh. I have him in a NIC cage next to Orion and Galaxy's cage, and apparently he gets lonely when I'm not home and goes over to visit the boys. If he's not in the cage with the boys, I will find him greeting me at the bottom of the stairs when I get home with the expression "look what I did mom, are you proud of me?" on his face. He'll run up to me, wait for me to pick him up and snuggle him and gladly go back into his cage to munch on hay or pellets or veggies. And sometimes, I find that Nebula has gotten into the boy's pen, and opened their doorso all three are running around loose. All three are quite content to greet me at the bottom of the stairs and return to theircages. So this weekend I am going to spend some quality time reinforcing Nebula's cage and see how that goes. If he is still findinga way out, then I will place him in the dog crate for the time being.

He is such a fun rabbit though. And I never get mad when he escapes his pen, just a little worried.

I took Nebby to work with me today and weighed him. He is up to 4.5#, which means he gained half a pound in a week. Everyone at work just loves him and his big goofy ears. When he's out in natural light, I notice that he has a lot of silver hairs mixed in with his black hairs almost giving him some sparkle to his coat.

your buns seem awsome!! i have one man-bun around the house and i know he is a handful!!

PICS PLEASE!!!:big wink:

I am glad he has adjusted so well and bonded so quickly with your other buns.:biggrin2: We knew he was going to a great loving :heartshome!

After the great basement flood of 2008, as I am calling the mess I am still cleaning up, I have come to the conclusion that the boys are really loving the bedroom life. Nebula gets a whole master bathroom to himself, and Galaxy and Orion share a dog crate, but get run around time when I'm at home. Orion is starting to earn the name hoover because he is constantly trying to clean specks of food of the floor. Galaxy is still a little reluctant to run around the upstairs like Orion though. Galaxy has always been the shy, quiet type. I suspect if the rabbits were humans, Orion would be the party animal, always agreeing to do whatever he can, Galaxy would be the shy nerd type, or the shy "plotting how to take over the world" type, and always do what he is told, and get Orion in trouble for disobeying. Nebula I'm still trying to figure out. His theme song in life should be "don't fence me in". He wants to interact on his terms, do everything on his terms, but yet he doesn't want to be left out. I think he's the one trying to figure out where he belongs in life.

Aurora thinks it's wonderful having the rabbits upstairs and she is constantly in the bathroom with Nebula. She has also decided that Nebula's rabbit food doesn't taste half bad. And Nebula seems to enjoy having her around because he is always trying to play with her.

Here are some pics that were taken last night.

rabbit014.jpg

rabbit015.jpg

rabbit013.jpg

rabbit011.jpg

rabbit010.jpg

rabbit009.jpg

Wow, Nebula is awesome looking. His fur looks longer than the other flemishes I've seen, he also looks a bit like my first bun, I say that alot-but it's true:p.

Orion, nice butt shot:p. Galaxy, I need more, so cute.

Great pics!

Do the cats get along with the buns? Like, are they calm around them? Our's isn't:grumpy:.

For the most part my cats ignore the rabbits. Aurora is the only one who actually plays with them. Every now and then I see her and my little holland lop, Orion, racing down the hallway side by side, racing each other.

Since the boys took up residence in the bedroom, I've been keeping the bathroom door closed at night so that Aurora doesn't go in there and keep me awake while she's playing with Neb. The bathroom door stays open during the day. Last night I decided to keep the bathroom door open and some where during the middle of the night I woke up to see two huge rabbit ears at the foot of the bed, then something that looked like a killer dark chocolate rabbit come to life. Remember that this is in the middle of the night and I'm half dreaming. I jump out of bed as Nebula rushes by me. Apparently my little houdini has figured out how to escape the bathroom now as well. The child gate I have up is a good 3' tall, and I have a second gate next to that because he was starting to chew through the baby gate out of boredom one day. The second cage is actually the top to the dog crate and is 48" long. Once I was awake I flipped on the light to see if he had chewed through the baby gate, but it was intact, and the other gate was still upright. I'm guessing he and Aurora plotted his escape most of the night, and she helped him figure out how to do it.

I think I may have to finish the basement pen remodel even quicker.

Awesome blog, LOVE your pictures, and Nebula looks so cute with Aurora! How many other cats have you got?
So its 3 bunnies and a few cats...you must be busy.
I too have a large dog crate for 2 of my buns but they are only in it when its clean up time and sometimes overnight etc.
They completely trash it though in hours and any newspaper, fabrics or food is thrown around and manages to escape outside the cage through the bars until the whole kitchen looks a mess when I let them out. My buns are house buns and they like to let me know that beig caged up is a no way option.....lol

The only one that will wait contently, play in the cage and just mellow out is Slipper. Carlita actually looks like she will try hurt herself if she is in it for more than an hour.

Love your buns :inlove:

I have three buns and three cats, and a 3 yr old daughter.

I finished (well almost) the basement pen this morning. I needed to after all the buns kept me up last night. Nebula once again escaped from the bathroom, and had been out long enough he peed and pooped on my rug. He was driving Galaxy bonkers, and in turn Galaxy spent part of the night trying to get out of the dog crate and the other part humping poor Orion. Nebula also decided to chew one of my daughter's sippy cup lids to shreds.

The pen downstairs is now a 7x6 NIC panel pen. Nebula's side is 7x3 and Orion and Galaxy's side is 7x3, so there is plenty of room to run around. Nebula's side has a partial roof to it. I wanted to do a complete roof, but if I do that, then I'm going to have to crawl on my hands and knees to get to anything in the pen. If it works the way it is, I will leave it, but if I notice him starting to escape again, I will either do a full roof, or raise the sides on his pen.

The rabbits seemed happy to be back in their pens. We'll see if it stays that way.

Latest posts

Back