squish was spayed today.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyrul

Reaction score
I was far more nervous for her than I was for the boys. It did help when I discovered I missed a call and it was from the clinic. I just knew they were calling to tell me there was a problem and they "lost her". Fortunately it was to tell me she did very well but I would to pick up later than first told lol. I told them they nearly gave me a heart attack.
Anyway, she is still very ... not sure how to describe her. The only time she has moved was to get out of the carrier into her hay and that was because I just forced some critical care into her mouth. How worried should I be?
also, she is 10 pounds! Yikes! The other buns are between 3-4 pounds.
And she has fleas. Which we knew because we pick them off and the run around our yard. The clinic said to use advantage but how much for a 4 lb bun?

Glad to hear Squish is home. She'll be sore for a bit, plus the anesthesia has to wear off. I've never had a girl but like you went through with my boys, so I don't know how long it will take for her to be her ole self.

Regarding the fleas and advantage, I would call the Vet who spayed Squish and see how much he/she recommends on your bunny.

Poor girl, feeling like that and have fleas.

Wishing her a quiet night of rest. Please keep us updated on her progress back to her ole self. A necessary operation, but you hate to see them like that.

K :)

The clinic is a spay/neuter clinic. They do a lot of bunnies and seem to know their bu(n)siness. LOL I crack myself up!They only do spay and neuters, so I will have to ask our regular vet.
She looks so miserable :( And will not be allowed to go out in the yard for 7-10 days. Seems to like cheek rubs but gets mad if I try to make her drink or eat.

I've had two bunnies get spayed, two get neutered, and I have another two getting spayed/neutered tomorrow. Seems like it took the boys only a day to act normally, but the girls took about 3-4 days. They shook a lot. I remember that. Give her something soft to lay on. I think the hay may be too abrasive right now. I used an old tshirt and just made sure they didn't eat it. I think for a 10# bun you'd use the whole tube and 1/2 a tube for the 4#, but double check with your regular bunny vet to be sure. It's the Advantage for kittens and puppies.

Is she on pain medication? That helps getting them to keep eating. I'm just glad that squish didn't get squashed! (sorry, had to do it) :)

MiniLopHop wrote:
Is she on pain medication? That helps getting them to keep eating. I'm just glad that squish didn't get squashed! (sorry, had to do it) :)
i called clinic to cancel nutmeg's spay -- i cannot handle two rabbits in pain and recovery at the same time. i find brutal to watch.
while on the phone iasked about squish's pain management. i knowshe was given a metcam (?) and they said i could swing by and get more but one dose was for 2 day so i can't give til tomorrow. squish looks slightly perkier and ate some greens over nite, had some apple and a few craisins, so i am not as worried. she also has been moving a bit, so i guess that is good.
excuse all my many typos, we are at dog park trying drain energy from a couple of dogs and small child. i am drained but the kid is filthy and energized :-D

how cool was this, the dog park is private and in a snooty area that has "preserve" areas of natural habitat. They do not use any chemicals or stuff, so I was able to pluck up tons of rabbit friendly weeds!!!! And I might have also picked a few herbs from their community herb garden too :D

There no way I am putting any chemical on her until she is recovered. I don't mix vaccines with any procedure, for my kids or pets. I want know if they react poorly to one thing at a time. if you what i mean.

Cheyrul wrote:
There no way I am putting any chemical on her until she is recovered. I don't mix vaccines with any procedure, for my kids or pets. I want know if they react poorly to one thing at a time. if you what i mean.

Good for you. Bunnies are that sensitive that you need to know or pinpoint what threw them off. I do the same thing with food and water. It works for me.

Still observing your bunny is still the most important thing. You know your bunny, no one else does.

K :)

Plus observing them (particularly when they don't know you are watching) is half the fun of having a bun! They do such silly things when they think no one it watching. :)

I think rabbits are natural clowns- the curiosity of a cat with the energy and sillyness of a dog = a super pet!

Squish is doing much better. Last night, I did not latch her cage door because she had been in the very same spot since she came home. She nosed the door open, sniffed around the house, chased 2 cats, several times, made sure I noticed her and my son, who was playing on the ps3, then she put herself back in her cage. She also ate some parsley and other greens.

This morning, she was up on her shelf looking completely normal.

I went to our organic market, then deliver potted herbs on Wednesday, since I got there early I was able to get dandelions! Never seen them there before, got some flower kale (or something) and some weird looking stuff that looks like small lily pads on long skinny stems. They said they are a yard thing that you can throw in salads.

nosturnums (not sure about the spelling) they are an edible flower. I find them fairly tasty, the buns LOVE them.

I'm lucky that my grocery store stocks dandelions all the time. Texas does everything big, including their greens! They are organic but the biggest dandelions I have ever seen. The kids get them at least once a week :)

MiniLopHop wrote:
nosturnums (not sure about the spelling) they are an edible flower. I find them fairly tasty, the buns LOVE them.

I'm lucky that my grocery store stocks dandelions all the time. Texas does everything big, including their greens! They are organic but the biggest dandelions I have ever seen. The kids get them at least once a week :)
I am so impressed by your green knowledge lol. It is spelled nasturiums, so they are safe? Are they easy to grow? I am giving it a whirl. I lost a lost of my green when we had a freeze.

Latest posts

Back