%*$&#@! Squirrels!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh, you have to love those laughing fits. You always get extra points for weird looks, falling AND accidentally bumping yourself around! Looks like you had a note-worthy laugh!

LOL I thought he was kinda cute!

I want to go to Lafayette Indiana where Purdue University is so I can see all the squirrels there! They're everywhere!

Come to my porch. They're everywhere... :grumpy:

Soo... anyone have any suggestions on where I could get metal mesh for the top of the can? I can't afford a new plastic trash bin (I am having a hard time finding a metal one), and I don't want to buy a ton of things to put the feed in. I buy the feed in 20# or more bags. The squirrel-corn alone is 50#. I don't even want to know what the whole bin weighs. SO, I just want to get some metal mesh to make a barrier around the can. Then I can make a lid-type-thingymajigger for the top of the barrier.

So, where to buy metal mesh? Wal*Mart didn't have it :p

Do you have a farm and feed? or try a home improvements store?

There is all sorts of hardware cloth, chicken wire, lightweight metal fencing.

How about Mentos and Diet Coke? lol

I haven't played with the chicken wire yet, aside from stepping on it and getting the edges stuck in my foot. Hooray, I got my tetanus shot in 2006! :biggrin2:

The squirrels don't mind the "Pledge" I spray on the lid/duct tape anymore. You know, the wood polish stuff? I've been using that as a deterrent, but they don't seem to mind it anymore! Plus, it's snowing, and I am NOT putting up chicken wire in the snow. :grumpy:

That's so cute. I wanted to put one of those up but I have a real Idiot of a neighbour who complained about me feeding them peanuts. He actually traps them too it really peeves me off. I did tell him that it's against the law here. Don't know if he listened though.

What I did instead of giving them peanuts in the shell, I now buy just the regular peanuts that aren't in the shell and put them out. I love watching the birds and squirrels eating them. I also put out bread for them they love it. Actually one of my other neighbours brings me her old bread to give them.

Susan:)

The squirrels here go crazy for corn (you know, the animal feed kind?). It doesn't leave much of a mess if they don't knock it on the ground lol

They are free and Entertaining if you know how to "treat" them. One Xmas our family was gathered in the L.Rm and two squirrels frolicked about the car tire at the top of the drive. 'Twas my son's car I believe. So cute, 2 happy-go-lucky furrballs rolling and playing together in the crisp Wisconsin air. Made me glad to see that part of nature on Christmas Day.

SOOOSKA wrote:
Where do you buy the corn from? I'd like to get some for by squirrels.

Susan:)
You can get any old corn from the feed/farm stores. Around here, I get mine at "Stein's Garden Center" and "Farm and Fleet". Any place that would sell wild bird/wild animal (or even farm animals, for that matter) should have the corn. It's labeled "animal feed" a lot, too. You could call around to places that carry horse stuff, they could probably point you in the right direction.

I get cobs of corn, too. I put them in a little wire spring that hangs from my porch. It's entertaining, to say the least. They also make the "squirrel bungee" which is a food block for squirrels and is attached to a bungee cord. You hang about a foot or so off the ground. They have to jump onto it and eat (and they bounce!)

There are SOOO many cool squirrel feeders (for our amusement)!

Latest posts

Back