Spring mix!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arloismybunny

Reaction score
Hi! My bunny Arlo is 7 months and I’ve had him for 5 months. I want to start feeding him more types of lettuce (he currently eats only romaine lettuce) and I heard that spring mixes are good for rabbits. I bought a pre-made spring mix yesterday and since I’m a paranoid bunny mom I wanted to make sure that the ingredients in the box were safe to feed him.

Attachments

• 14F04EBF-78A3-440F-BD8B-2DE5760DE59C.jpeg
    14F04EBF-78A3-440F-BD8B-2DE5760DE59C.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 8
Our rabbits are giants so it may be different because they can generally eat more of everything, but they have never experienced any problems with spring mix. I'm not sure if this is the same kind we get though.
I am no expert but I have read online to keep kale and spinach to small amounts or try to avoid it. I have also read that oak leaves are not good for them or could be dangerous. I would like to hear from other rabbit parents or people who know more than me in general if this is true.

I buy the exact same brand and it's fine. I generally wouldn't feed just spring mix everyday once he's good on eating the full amount of veggies just because it seems to me that this brand has a whole lot of spinach in it, which isn't the best for rabbits to be eating a lot of. I also find it a lot cheaper to buy different veg seperately (eg a bunch of cilantro only costs 50 cents) and making my own mix. Just wash it and portion it and it'll be good to go! :)

I buy the exact same brand and it's fine. I generally wouldn't feed just spring mix everyday once he's good on eating the full amount of veggies just because it seems to me that this brand has a whole lot of spinach in it, which isn't the best for rabbits to be eating a lot of. I also find it a lot cheaper to buy different veg seperately (eg a bunch of cilantro only costs 50 cents) and making my own mix. Just wash it and portion it and it'll be good to go! :)
I also feed mine cilantro, as well as dill and parsley—we get packets and big bunches from the supermarket and the bunnies love it!

Same. I will pick out the spinach if there's a lot, but in small quantities, it's fine.

I'm the weirdo at the supermarket looking at all the salads trying to get the one with the least spinach! 🤣 🤣 🤣

I've not bought spring mixes many times, but the few that i've fed, they've all been good. Well, i have a steel-stomach lop, so it's not a real wonder. I did have to be extra cautious when i had Lümi though, he was super sensitive. Just a bit less veggies for him and all was good.

Also, seconding @odyssey~ , spring mixes are ridiculously expensive. Most our stores charge 1.50 for 100g of spring mixes, arugula, spinach, dill, parsley, whereas i could get 300g of celery or romaine for the same money.

I've not bought spring mixes many times, but the few that i've fed, they've all been good. Well, i have a steel-stomach lop, so it's not a real wonder. I did have to be extra cautious when i had Lümi though, he was super sensitive. Just a bit less veggies for him and all was good.

Also, seconding @odyssey~ , spring mixes are ridiculously expensive. Most our stores charge 1.50 for 100g of spring mixes, arugula, spinach, dill, parsley, whereas i could get 300g of celery or romaine for the same money.

No, you guys are completely right, it's expensive. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it, and the convenience is more important to me than the price. If I had the time, I'd make my own mix. But that's time I'd rather spend playing with bunnies! ☺ ☺ ☺

Back