Spraying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiaohuihui

Reaction score
So, my intact male has started spraying... ME! He doesn't spray the walls or unfamiliar areas. He has NEVER sprayed anything but me. He sprays my ankles, always when I least suspect. He knows I hate it too, because afterwards he literally runs in place to get the traction necessary to sprint off to his room, which is where he knows I will put him. He is otherwise very loving and lets me pick him up and cuddle and kiss him all day. He has never bitten me. He is always trying to get my attention and grooms me frequently. There are no other pets around. I read online once that if a bunny pees on your pillow, he basically hates you. This is like that times a million. The pee is so stinky too, once I washed it off and went to yoga and realized halfway through that my feet reeked of pee.

Please tell me I am not the only one. Can anything be done other than neutering him?

This is sooo common with intact male buns. And no he doesn't hate you. Complete opposite. It sounds like you are getting a lovely shot of pee cause he totally loves you. Nice way to show it huh? He's basically marking you as his, may even be courting you too. Be glad it's your ankles. I've gotten a shot of pee in the face a few times :) Try using vinegar to get the pee smell out. Something like Natures Miracle odor and stain remover, works a lot better, but I don't know if this is something you can get where you are. Neutering is the basic way to get him to stop this, since it is hormone driven. But I know how this might not be something you want to do there. All I can think of that might work, is somehow training him not to do it, but since he already knows that he get's in trouble and has a time out when he does it, then I'm not sure how well training will work. You may be able to prevent it from escalating to a spray. They will sometimes make a little honking noise when they are feeling all hormonal, so if you hear it, you could try settling him down, by petting him for a little while to get him calmed down. This may not always preceed a spraying, but it's the only other thing I could think of that might work.

Another idea I thought might work is to give him a stuffed animal friend. Not all rabbits like stuffies, but some really like them a lot. And don't be terribly surprised if he decides to hump it every now and then. Just try and pick one without any loose things he can chew off. I like using ones that are a little fuzzy but not too much that my rabbit may try and chew off the fake fur. And just keep an eye on him and make sure he's not going to try and chew it up. If he decides it's just a chew toy instead of a grooming friend, then it probably isn't going to work, and you'll want to take it away so he doesn't accidentally ingest anything from chewing on it.

Oh he has a little stuffed friend, lol. His humping mania seems to have calmed down quite a bit, but the spraying continues.

Thanks so much for your response, it has made me feel a lot better! Poor guy. I wish I could get him a bunny wife.

He is a male bunny, being a male bunny! However, having said that, IN THE OVER 20 yrs that I have had bunnies, my WORST sprayers have all been females!!! They were champion sprayers and sprayed EVERYTHING! Most recently, our 6 1/2 month old female...once she was spayed a month and a half ago, well, she has not sprayed since!!!

Is your bunny old enough to be neutered? I would suggest having him neutered! Good luck!

He :inlove: you. Hopefully he will keep to the ankles. My boy Scamper would get my daughter right in the face as she was getting ready to head out to school.

I think neutering him is the only real way to ensure that this problem is solved.

So, my intact male has started spraying... ME! He doesn't spray the walls or unfamiliar areas. He has NEVER sprayed anything but me. He sprays my ankles, always when I least suspect.

be glad it's just your ankles! they can spray up to six feet in the air, and some male bunnies have been known for their skill at "face shots"! ><

neutering is really the only way to put a stop to spraying.

Latest posts

Back