Spraying female-->Spayed-->Non spraying??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochajoe

Reaction score
So I have a dilemma...I have a 3 1/2 month old Holland Lop (who is almost the size of a mini lop) and she is a horrific sprayer! It is VERY hard to have a "sprayer" who lives in your living room! She has always been an indoor bunny as she was born in my friend's classroom at school AND we live in NH so putting her out in the barn in February is NOT an option....AND she is NOT quite old enough to be spayed! Our almost 3 month old little boy, who is also not yet fixed was living in a cage above her....in my ranting about this problem that I posted a few days ago...a suggestion was made....and we have moved her cage to the second floor of our house in the hopes that this will help curb her spraying! So now that my situation is known....anyone who has had a similar experience PLEASE share!!! What I would like to know...is anyone who had a sprayer....then had her spayed....and then she stopped spraying! I really don't want her out in the barn, even when it is warm enough and I really don't want to find her a new home....but I have 4 children under the age of 13 and my husband is NOT a fan of all the animal smells in our house.....PLEASE HELP!!!!

I know just how you feel. I don´t have girls but I have three boys and one of them was a champion sprayer, I called him the sniper sprayer as he could hit any target from about 6 feet. I ended up with pee up the sofas, windows, walls and even on me at times. I had him neutered last October and he has never sprayed since and, I can tell you, the difference is amazing. I think it´s the same with females that these bad habits should disappear after a spay but I´m sure someone with a female will be able to confirm it.

3.5 months old and fairly big.... I'd have her spayed and not wait for her to be older. you don't want the behaviour to be ingrained.

BUT as I say that... YOU CAN move her out to the barn. I've moved plenty of rabbits (as I do some rabbit rescue) into my outdoor rabbitry in the middle of winter and they do just fine. You just give them some straw or hay to snuggle in and they do just fine. No shivering or shock. They do have built in fur jackets. :)

I know just how you feel. I don´t have girls but I have three boys and one of them was a champion sprayer, I called him the sniper sprayer as he could hit any target from about 6 feet. I ended up with pee up the sofas, windows, walls and even on me at times. I had him neutered last October and he has never sprayed since and, I can tell you, the difference is amazing. I think it´s the same with females that these bad habits should disappear after a spay but I´m sure someone with a female will be able to confirm it.

I think that is one of the most frustrating things....I have had several male bunnies and one whom was never neutered as he was a show bunny and he NEVER sprayed....none of my males before they were neutered sprayed either. I think I would be a little more understanding if it was one of my boys! UGH!!! So frustrating!

Yes, she is a tri colored Holland that was an only baby! She is a brute! I am having her spayed soon! I just needed some encouragement that this quite nasty gross behavior would go away! As for moving her outside....I know she has a built in fur coat.....LOL We want her to be an INDOOR bunny! :(

Latest posts

Back