Split Penis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

introoder

Reaction score
>.>;;;;

Three days before the show, I notice something wrong with my buck. a split penis. greeeeeat. The nice $150 show buck I bought last october has a split penis. I mean, he breeds well. And in all the shows he's been in, no one's ever noticed... But I just did. I sat here for the last hour and a half trying to determine if it was or not, but I'm certain it is, now. (Flaccid, it curls downward. I've heard that's a big part of it. Messing around with it more, it's kinda like... Two flaps glued together in one spot?) sorry. graphic, kinda, I know.

Upsetting, to say the least. He's entered in this one last show, and depending on if the judge's notice, well.. I'll go from there.

See if you can get a couple of photos of the penis extended. Just because it curls when it's flaccid doesn't mean it's split. Could it be an injury?

I agree with Cathy - curling is normal.

The normal penis is actually "two flaps glued together" as it forms during development. A line down the midline is normal. An open slice is not normal.

Split penis (resembles the genitals of a doe) shown below. Most bucks breed fine, but using splitpenis bucks for breeding is not recommended. Mode of inheritance is unknown (some forms arex linked).

Also - splits can occuranywhere along the shaft - high - low - or completely open.

OMG as if it isn't hard enough to sex bunnies at times. I never considered the possibility of a split penis. Will check my males (the stud in particular) as soon as it gets bright.

The split penis bucks are almost impossible to sex when they are young - even for the experts. My son had a "doe" recently entered at state convention. "She" did well in the first show - but the second judge DQ'd her for wrong sex. Sure enough - a split penis buck that we had sexed when very young and not checked again.Of course, it would figure that he's got fantastic type.:(

Afraid I've been "caught" too. Bought areal promising Junior Blue Flemish Doeand showed her twiceas a doe.... sure enough, 3 months later, she was a he with a split... I was SO disappointed. :(

Is a split penis always a genetic issue or is it caused by illness or disease of some sort? I have a buck who has received legs on the show table and now after 2 yearsI noticed he has a split penis. I never noticed it before and eithe rhave the judges. I usually check my rabbits carefully before ach breeding which is howI noticed it this time.

A rabbit can injure himself and cause a tear or a rip. Yes, that can cause a split. They can also get injured by a doe while attempting to breed. Have you seen any blood or signs of damage?

Is it just the tip that's split? Some bucks, as they age, will show a "wider" tip. (Especially the larger breeds). It may not be a true Split penis, just a stretching of the end of the urethrea. I'd get an experiencedbreeder/judge/Vets opinion beforemaking a final diagnosis.

Ho yes me too I think I have a plit in my Barn!!! Well, I'd have 2 litter so far with this same guy and First I tought I had 3 doe. I seel 2 and keep the best and then at three months I saw a penis comming out of there! I was like; WHAT I KNOW How to SEXE my rabbit!!!! I've been doing that for 5 years!!! So, well, I went to a show, the judge tought that i was a girl... He shows me that it was a girl and YES it was like he showed me (the penis roaled back on itself and the split was like the opening of the vilva from a girl.. hahaha So I said nooo look again there's somethings coming out of there! And he said HOOO okay this is a split... but he hasss really hard difficulties to determine it.. and even today, If I ses him and just bring the penis with, it's like a girl. Now with my new one, I think it's a buck too, 2 ball starts to growth beside the penis.. OMG...

I red that MALE rabbit determinate the sex because theycan give chromosomeY. So XX is a female and XY is male. And i red that: During foetal developpement, an anormal developpement can happends.. SOOO WHOO iss the proble the BUCk or the DOE!???

And my Buck has never been DQ in a show. He even wan 1 leg! He has penis curl.. And it's really hard to try to extend it. I don,t want to hurt him.

I bought another buck to do some experimentation and I look him before buying him... well sound okay!!!

But stil he has also penis curl... :( So ww'll see soon!

Bye bye

Hmmm...perhaps you're just seeing things like we were at the one 4-H meeting before fair this year? :p Remember we were both up on the table, with our bucks out in front of us? That was quite interesting.

Anyway, that really sucks if he indeed has a split penis! Hopefully he'll make it past the show ~ is it the 4-H show this weekend? Generally 4-H shows aren't allowed to DQ rabbits ~ so if he doesn't slip past, he'll just get an NP.

Emily

A lot of people, especially newbies, search for posts pertaining to their situation and then reply thinking their post will get more replies because it was started by an older member :)Another reason is because many forums discourage multiple threads on the same subject. It's something often encountered in forums. Hey if the topic doesn't get old it must be a good one then I guess lol :pI'd never even have thought of a split penis to be honest. :expressionless

Latest posts

Back