splinters?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethM

Reaction score
Some of you know I have built a new NIC cage for my single bunny, Tobi. I had a lot of trials finding a suitable flooring surface, most things that people use were too slippery for her. I ended up with plain plywood for the upper 2 floors. I had grass mats (from World Market) clipped onto the third floor, and I left the second floor without mats to see how she did. She seemed to be able to navigate ok, but still seemed uncomfortable, so I added 2 "steps," made of NIC panels with a square of pegboard, rough side up. She has been using the steps just fine since I put them in, she learned what they were for very quickly.

Well, this evening, for some reason, she decided to jump from the upper level to the middle level, but instead of using the step she tried to jump over the step. I looked over just in time to see her land, slip a little, and roll over on her side. Luckily she did not fall off of that level onto the ground floor. I have no idea why she would decide to do that. She has been eating and moving around just fine, and playing. I went ahead and put mats on the second level, and on both steps for added traction.

But, she has been periodically licking the bottom of her left front paw. I looked at the paw, there are no broken nails and all her toes seem fine, she didn't flinch when I touched any of them. There is no blood, and she is not favoring that foot, limping, or anything.
Is it possible she got a splinter from the wood? And if so, how would I tell, and how can I help her? When I looked at the bottom of the paw, all seemed fine, but with all that fur.....
Or maybe she "stubbed" a toe? I've been trying to keep my eye on her, and she seems fine except for licking the bottom of that one paw.

Thanks!

I don't have a magnifier, but I can pick one up tomorrow afternoon to check her paw.

We were watching tv in the other room just now, heard noise from the room Tobi is in, and came in to check. She was sitting on the ground floor, thumping. The bell hanging on the third floor was swinging, so I think she just jumped down. I hope she didn't fall again. She is clearly spooked about something, but I don't know what. :(

She was very used to jumping up and down in her old cage. She used to have carpet, but that had to be removed because she was eating it. I think part of not liking the wood floors is they are not soft like the carpet was. I put a rug with a rubber back down on the ground floor, so she should be able to use that as a "landing pad." Plus, she now has the steps, if she would just use them. She has been using the steps all week.

My fiance will be home all day tomorrow, so he'll be able to keep an eye on her. I'm only working a half day, so I will be able to pick up a magnifier on my way home. She also just licked her paw again.

Her foot may just be sore...she may be fine by tomorrow.
I guess that I would add that sometimes we build things for our buns that make sense to us because we see them as functional but our bunny interprets thementirely in a different way.

makes sure that if she decides to jump over the stairs or whatever... that she can't hurt herself if she decides not to use itthe way that we set it up.

Her foot may just be sore...she may be fine by tomorrow.
I guess that I would add that sometimes we build things for our buns that make sense to us because we see them as functional but our bunny interprets thementirely in a different way.

makes sure that if she decides to jump over the stairs or whatever... that she can't hurt herself if she decides not to use itthe way that we set it up.

I just caught her and took another look at the foot. (She likes pets on the head but not much more handling than that, so there was lots of lunging and growling.) It looks like the "pad" on one of her toes is red and looks a little puffy compared to the other pink toes. Still no blood, and I couldn't see anything that looks like a splinter.
Hopefully she will feel better tomorrow.

I will try to modify her new cage (yet again!) so she will be forced to use the step to get between the top and middle levels. She had been doing so well these past couple of days with it, I don't know why she decided to be a daredevil today.

I will also still pick up a magnifier tomorrow, I should have on on hand, anyway.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Back