Spine injury

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alifoo

Reaction score
I have a two year old holland lops. This morning I found him laying on his side with his food and water untouched from yesterday. He was limp and not acting at all like himself. I took him to the vet, and the vet decided that it was a neurological injury. He thinks my bunny may not be permanently paralyzed because he can move his back legs minimally and responds to pain if you squeeze his back feet pretty hard.
The vet gave him a shot of steroids and steroid pills for the next 20 days. I have to feed him food, water and medication with a syringe. The vet said we'll just have to see if he improves.
Has anyone had an experience like this that ended POSITIVELY? Is there anything else I can do to help him? Thanks!

I am wondering if you could give us more info about your bunny prior to this problem
Please answer as much as you can re. your rabbit using this link as a guide

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=44529&forum_id=16

Was your rabbit inside the house ? in a cage ? is there anything that you rabbit could have injured himself on ?

Can you think of anything that could have frightened him ?

We need more info ..

has your rabbit been exposed to any chemical or pesticide?, have you used any kind of flea mite treatment on him, has he eaten anything lying about the house ?

it sounds as if your vet is not sure ..what kind of tests did he do??
X-rays ?
is your vet knowledgeable about rabbits ?
is your rabbit still lying on his side?

is he conscious?

Do his pupils react to light .
Give as much info as possible

My dog had stepped on him the previous day, but he hopped around afterward so I thought he was fine. Also, he lives in a cage indoors. His cage has ramps with two shelves. I think he may have fallen from one of the upper shelves, but I'm not sure. He has not been exposed to any pesticides, chemicals or flea treatment. The vet is the only one in my area that treats rabbits and he says there is swelling around the spine (not sure how he knows). The vet just isn't sure if he'll be fully paralyzed, partially paralyzed or what. He is still lying on his side and has dragged himself a little bit with his front legs. His pupils are normal, he is conscious and alert, sniffing and moving his head. Still not eating or drinking on his own so he's being fed by syringe. Poor bun. :(

Did your vet do an x-ray? That would help him see exactly where and how serious the damage is. Sometimes nothing is broken and it's just the swelling pushing on the spinal cord that causes the damage. That is why he gave the steroids- to reduce swelling so the spinal cord doesn't have as much pressure on it.

I do know people who have cared for fully paralyzed rabbits who were healthy and happy for years. I also know of a rabbit that had nerve damage in her leg, and she has regained almost 100% usage in the matter of a few months.

When you have an immobile bun, it is really important to keep them clean and to prevent pressure sores. There is some information in this library thread, and we can try to help you with any specific questions.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12158&forum_id=10

I hope he does ok!

I hope the vet told you to keep him in a small space so that he cannot move around during the period that he is healing..

The steroid is given to help reduce the swelling and inflammation
yes I have heard of injuries like this and yes sometimes the bun heals and resumes normal activity ..sometimes not :(and sometimes can regain partial movement.
it is a good sign that his feet respond when the vet pushed on them Did the vet give you critical care to feed him ?

make sure that he is getting enough fluids unless the vet has taught you to give them sub q fluidsSyringing pedialyte would be a good idea

it is important to keep him nourished and hydrated ( so his gut keeps moving) during this period

Any pain medication ?

is he pooping ?

The vet didn't x-ray him. I have him in a box with the top open to reduce mobility, although he's not really trying to move too much. He's been getting gatorade, water and mashed up pellets by syringe. The vet said gatorade would work the same way as pedialyte. He's not pooped yet since I got him home from the vet. My biggest concern is that he's not eating/drinking on his own. I am more than willing to give him extra care and all, but I don't want him to be miserable.

Can you get Critical Care ?

You can also syringe some pure canned pumpkin (no pie seasoning just pure pumpkin ) for fiber

CC provides all the nutrition needed for a rabbit ; it is in a powder that you mix with water.
Pedialyte may be better than gatorade because the sugar content is not as high

I have ordered Critical care from here without a prescription ; it is cheaper here than most places.

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Critical-Care-1-pound-AppleBanana--pr--015OXP01AB1

Apple banana is the flavor that most rabbits prefer...

Thanks for the advice about the critical care, Angie! I just ordered some. That seems easier to feed and better for him than just dissolved pellets.

It will be awhile before you get it :(but when you do you need to add a lot more water than the directions say ; if the CC is not really dilute it will plug the syringe ( and also dehydrate the rabbit)

maybe for now you could pulverize the rabbit pellets so it would be easier to mix with water and get into a syringe

I've crushed up the pellets and mixed the powder with water so it dissolves. Any idea how long it will be before he'll be able/want to eat on his own again? That's the worst part b/c it almost seems like he's giving up if he's not trying to eat.

Pumpkin puree mixed with water and syringed might help to tempt him to eat (mixing some banana or applesauce may help as well).

My main suggestion won't be so much physical (others have given great suggestions) as it is psychological. I used to own a rabbit who was paralyzed, and I found that one thing which seemed key to keeping him happy was to keep him stimulated. His cage was kept in the room where the most activity was in my house; it was raised up, next to a window, so he could see outside, and he could also be at a good level to see me when I was home. He had a homemade sling so he could get into a simulated standing position; and when he wasn't in that he was either in his cage (propped up to a sitting position with rolled towels to give his body support), or he was beside me where I could give him massages, or just have physical contact. To keep an appetite going you also need to have him remain as much a part of the family as he ever was. No feeling sorry for him...animals have the capability of sensing moods around them, and then drawing off of that; so if there is a sense of feeling sorry for the animal, the animal will be aware of it. Lots of pets and and stroking his fur and head, talk to him in a loving, happy voice, and get his appetite stimulated with tempting foods if you can. There is a chance that he may recover from his injury if it is a swelling; but just take it all one day at a time. Love is by far the best healer. :)

:pray: for your little guy....

Thanks so much for all the wonderful advice! Teddy's eating banana and mashed up pellets on his own, so I think that's a great sign. We're giving him lots of attention, I'm actually better able to keep him a part of things because he can't hop away.

This is really great :woohoo

however sometimes after a rabbit has gone through some sort of trauma there is tendency for the rabbit to develop GI issues ( Gi stasis )

You will need to make sure that he keeps hydrated and possibly treat for stasis if he doesn't start pooping ...

but you and your bunny are REALLY lucky that his ability to move normally is coming back

is he eating any hay opr greens ???
Don't feed a lot of banana ; just really too sweet
let us know

When your vet is available you should talk about this with him but there are things that you can do in the meantime
You can give him medication for gas which often becomes a problem when a rabbit's GI system is not moving.

Go to a pharmacy and getsome Infant liquid gas drops sold over the counter . Some common brands are Mylicon infant gas drops or Liquid Gas X for infants. The only active ingredient should be simethicone.
Feel his belly ..is it hard and firm ??
You can give 1cc of the med per syringe and gently massagehis stomach. In your rabbit's case I am not sure that you should massage his tummy ; if your rabbit would resisthe could reinjure himself... you can give 2 more doses 1 hour apart or wait a few hours and give another dose. ( no ore than 3 doses in about a 12 hr period)

Also get a fresh pineapple and give several cc"s of FRESH ( not canned or frozen) juice several times per day
It would help to get a probiotic to restablish the beneficial bacteria in his GI system
You can buy benebac in a petstore ( Petco or Petsmart either in small gel tubes or in powder form for dogs and cats( the powder for dogs/cats is fine for rabbits)
You can also use Probios for horses which is sold in farm stores if you cannot get the benebac

Continue to give fluids ..you can mix some of the pineapple juice with the pedilayte . Keeping him hydrated is very very important

Also keep going with the oral feeding of the pellet mash ..possibly addingsome pure canned pumpkin (without seasoning) into it.

Because of his unique situation with his injury I would also attemmtp to talk toyour vet ASAP>

How does he look now?
Are his eyes bright ?
is he still moving ?

is he hunched over
Does he look uncomfortable?

Vet isn't available until tomorrow. Bunny's hopping around and laying on his side. He's starting to fight the syringe feeding more and more which is good b/c it means he's getting better, but I'm afraid he'll re-himself trying to fight. I've been able to get some gas medicine down him and he's pooping much smaller pellets than normal. I've also given him some pineapple juice, pumpkin and pedialyte. He's eating pellets, hay and veggies on his own.

it will take awhile for his digestive tract to straighten out after this incident
if he is eating hay, veggies on his own that is great :D

If the poops are small they are still starting to come so that is good also
if he is eating on his own then you don't need to feed him but you can continue to hydrate him ,give gas meds, pineapple juice etc
You are doing a fantastic job :goodjob

Latest posts

Back