Spike keeps having more and more moments of "not eating"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikethebunny

Reaction score
We used to deal with stasis in Spike maybe once or twice a year. His diet has, and still is, unlimited Tim hay (which he devours), greens, and a very small amount of pellets. This is the same diet I have given him for 5 years. Once a week, sometimes less, he gets a treat - either a small piece of carrot, apple or pineapple. He is only a 2 pound Netherland dwarf.

The last few months, though, the bouts of stasis are getting more and more frequent. When I say stasis, I mean refusing (even walking away from) all food, including his favorites. He looks really uncomfortable and shifts a lot, pushing his tummy to the floor.Sometimes it only lasts an hour, sometimes 6. It just happened on Friday and then again tonight. Both times, I managed to give him a small dose of simitheicone and he got a lot better in about an hour. Before Friday, it had only been a month since the last bout.

But this is stressing me out! I plan to take him for a checkup with the vet, but does anyone have any idea why this is happening more? He is not shedding, and even when he does, I'm religious about getting the fur off. He lives in a 4ftx4ft dog pen when I am out, and is pretty free range when I am home (certain rooms that aren't easily bunny proofed are off limits). His poops generally look the same and when he is not having one of these bouts, he has tons of energy.

What am I doing wrong? Can I do anything to help? I've heard canned pumpkin as preventative? How much do I give him?

I hate seeing my little guy keep going through this. :-(

We are sorry to hear about poor Spike.
I would definitely take him to a vet visit as soon as you can, at least for piece of mind for you to make sure that nothing serious is happening. And, just so Spike gets checked out.
We have also heard of feeding the canned pumpkin, but we have never hadd to do that. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge with this will respond.
We hope that Spike feels better!!!

What veggies is he getting? I suspect one or more are bothering him. I would reduce the greens & increase the pellets, maybe 10% different at first for a week, then another 10%, & then maybe again.

I'm finding, like humans, after a certain age food affects bunnies differently. It could be just a change in his system. At 5 he's reaching Senior years, and certain things will affect your bunny. Especially if he always had tummy issues.

I'd stick with unlimited hay, watch certain greens, and if you have to up his pellet intake. I would definitely go see a vet just for peace of mind. And also discuss a Senior diet for your Spike.

Just like babies, seniors do have sensitive systems.

K:)

Based on what I have been reading, it is definitely gas he is having at these moments.

K, I think you are absolutely right that age is probably a key factor. It's funny, because my little 2 pound Spike still looks the same and is generally very energetic, so I don't think of him as a Senior. But he will be turning 6 this year, so I guess he is. I guess my "baby" is not really a baby anymore, huh?

I will make a much-despised (by Spike) vet appointment and discuss altering his diet too see if that helps.

Thanks so much everyone for the input. I really appreciate it!

Sam

LakeCondo wrote:
What veggies is he getting? I suspect one or more are bothering him. I would reduce the greens & increase the pellets, maybe 10% different at first for a week, then another 10%, & then maybe again.
I agree. Some of the greens may not be agreeing with him anymore. Pellets are safe and have the dietary requirements he needs. I'd reduce the greens and offset it withpellets. You might have to play with how much to increase it by so he doesn't overeat.

Back