Spiderwort

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephira

Reaction score
Does anybody know if this plant is safe for buns? It's called spiderwort--I have a TON of it in my yard.

Thanks!!

3438585073_d055e391f4.jpg

Yeah I haven't let them loose in the yard because of it... It's everywhere!! I really want to find out if it's ok so I can bring them outside for a little while.

Again, as with so many plants, there are several different plants that are called spiderwort, or spider wort. So the first thing would be to get a proper identification, preferably with the scientific name.
For instance, the "spiderwort", of the species "Siderasis", is listed as mildly toxic in some lists for parrots.
On the other hand, the "Tradescantia" species is listed as edible and useful, and the leaves, stems and flowers can be used in many dishes.

The tradescantia btw have 3-petaled flowers, which only bloom for one day each.
Siderasis is more of a houseplant, though, and native to Brazil, so you probably don't have that one in your garden :)

But it's still very important to have a proper identification of any plants you want to try your bunnies on.

If you do have Tradescantia, it's likely safe to try themon a little bit and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info Hazelmom!! I will definitely try to get a better i.d. on them and if they are the safe species I will let the buns try a little to see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back