Spend the night?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiron

Reaction score
I got Nilla neutered today, and I was assuming that he would come home the same day. The receptionist told me I could probably pick him up around 5 when I dropped him off this morning, and from what I've been reading on RO the boys get to come home same day while the girls have an overnight stay. Well, I got a call saying Nilla is fine but I can't pick him up till after 10am tomorrow. Should I be worried? The doctor says everything is fine but it just gets me a little uneasy if he's staying while everyone else gets to go home. I'm probably fretting over nothing but I miss him too much already >.<

The vet that did Brindle and Benji routinely keeps spays/neuters overnight.

I think it's a good idea....as long as there's someone around to check on them throughout the night.

Both of my buns went through with no problems, but if they needed attention after the anesthesia wore off they were able to get proper care (i.e.: pain meds).There was someone there throughout the night.

I've brought home a few buns that were still groggy from the anesthesia. I was worried until they had come out of it....very stressful for me to watch them bumble around aimlessly. But the other option was to leave them... overnight...alone...unattended....not really an option in my book.
I also made sure that they sent pain meds home with me.

JimD wrote:
The vet that did Brindle and Benji routinely keeps spays/neuters overnight.

I think it's a good idea....as long as there's someone around to check on them throughout the night.

I agree. Mine stay overnight. They have people 24/7 at my vets.

Well the only reason it worried me is because the techs and receptionist told me I'll probably be picking him up around 5pmish, and they do bun neuters all the time so they would know if they require overnights for all buns.

The shelter buns have to stay the night because the vets do a lot of the rabbit surgeries late in the day because the rabbits don't fast.

Maybe they did his surgery later in the day and didn't bother to tell you.

I think that if anything was wrong they would be required to tell you when it is happening.

You shouldn't have to pay for an overnight stay because no one told you that it would be over night.
I really wouldn't worry about it although it is inconsiderate that they didn't tell you the reason.

I'm sure that he;s fine

Could be that he was extra drowzy from the anesthesia and the vet wanted to just keep him until he knew he was fully awake. He might have had to go after one of the testicles so to speak (they sometimes are up in them tight) and wanted to keep an eye on him since that's a little more painful - and give him pain meds. My vet didn't send pain meds home with Bo at all! So, it could be a lot of things.

I wouldn't worry - if they had a major concern, they would have told you then.

Is Nilla short for Vanilla? I had a sheep named Vanilla Ice (the whole rapper thing with my son) and I called him Nilla. :D

Could be maybe the vet had an emergency and the surgery was delayed a bit? Causing your bun to be too fresh out of the operation to come home?

Hi,

I prefer my buns to come home immediately after surgery. Most of the vets I know prefer that way too. The rabbit has already been thru a stressful event and our feeling is to get him/her back into familiar surroundings as soon as possible. Many assume that by staying overnight means someone will be there to keep watch....fact is, that just ain't so in most cases. Very few vets have around the clock staff. And in most cases if someone is there overnight, it's an entry level tech or kennel help that really has little expertise in an emergency should it occur. I would make it a point to ask prior to the procedure if a skilled tech or doctorwill be in the clinic overnight. Most of our rabbits are discharged soon as we can get there after the procedure. With the newer anesthisias such as the injectables and sevoflourane, the rebound after sedation is quite fast. I have had buns eating within a couple of hours after the procedure.

Something along this line too....get an itemized list of expected charges. It's rare, but I have seen "extended care" charges (meaning they stayed overnight) as high as $25. And I have seen "assisted feeding" charges of as high as $93. As mentioned, it is rare those charges are that high but I have actually seen it happen.

The bottom line here is whatever you feel comfortable with and the overall condition of the bun after the surgery. The main thing for you is to determine if you areprepared to respond to an emergency in the remote chance one may occur. With the increasing skill of vets in dealing with rabbits, the procedures have become much less risky to a point they should generally be considered "day surgeries". A healthy rabbit usually has no problems in the hands of a skilled doctor.

Randy

The two girls I had spayed two weeks ago did an overnight stay. It was good for me, since the office is staffed 24/7, and I work 3rd shift.

I know there is no extra charge at my vet. I also know someone is there 24/7. It is a hospital at night. I also make sure to schedule my procedures on nights that someone rabbit savy will be there. :biggrin2:I am lucky.

ra7751 wrote:
Hi,

I prefer my buns to come home immediately after surgery. Most of the vets I know prefer that way too. The rabbit has already been thru a stressful event and our feeling is to get him/her back into familiar surroundings as soon as possible.

Me too! Good points on all of it also.

Bo was groggy all day after his appointment and the vet said his surgery was actually "boring" since it was so easy, normal, etc. He did very well but he wanted to sleep. I made sure he ate a little but it wasn't easy.

The next day he made up for lost time. ;)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Is Nilla short for Vanilla? I had a sheep named Vanilla Ice (the whole rapper thing with my son) and I called him Nilla. :D
Actually it's just Nilla. I like them wafer/cookies a lot :p

HA! that's why I started calling him Nilla - Like Nilla wafers LOL! I just thought it was cute.

So how's Nilla? did you get him home?

Actually, I'll be leaving in about 10 minutes to go pick him up. Can't wait..but the Saturday bus schedule makes me :X

Well they told me yesterday he has to be picked up between 10am to 3pm.

The reason they gave me to why he stayed overnight is because he had 2 different doctors work on his during surgery. He's doing great so far. They gave me no meds to take home.

I asked both questions and got no replies. Now it sounds a bit fishy. He costed me $136, $50 less than Lumi did. Sorry but Kayden (kitten) will have to wait till we move back to Illinois before he get neutered. I don't quite trust VCA hospitals now. (I've been to 2 different ones).

Latest posts

Back