specific bonding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquaticRex

Reaction score
OK so I'm looking at this one female mini rex, she is not fixed, has breeding experience and i am told non-dominant, mild temperament, hasn't bitten anyone/anything, and 8 months old. would it maybe up the chances of her and my neutered boy getting along even if i don't fix her due to her breeding background? of course i do have the option to fix her, and i will regardless to make her more healthy and even more calm, but I'm just curious if i can attempt bonding before getting her fixed.

I'd expect her to be quite hormonal to be honest. I actuallywonder if that could be a good thing... Would it mean she is more receptive to the male? The non-dominant part can have to do with the actual bunnies she's usually with though. They can act differently depending on whom they are with. I guess the safest bet is always to spay and neuter first. I hope someone with more experience comes along soon to give you more advice :)

ok, i have a bonded pair, hank and sophie, and hank is neutered and sophie is not. sophie is older and at the teenage hormonal age and i bonded them a couple months ago and it only took a couple weeks and now they live together and are still very much in love...

now nothing is perfect, she used to be really dosile and laid back until i bonded them and now she is dominating. she isn't agressive but about once a month hank gets his face humped just once lol and sophie kind of herds him around and forces him to play with her. but he is really laid back and just lets her do whatever she wants. i think that comes with neutering. he is about 20 weeks old now...

i think it could work, i just think your unneutered bun will be the dominating one, and if your neutered bun is laid back and dosile it could work.... just my two cents lol probably alot of ppl will tell you to neuter both of them.

farmerchick wrote:
ok, i have a bonded pair, hank and sophie, and hank is neutered and sophie is not. sophie is older and at the teenage hormonal age and i bonded them a couple months ago and it only took a couple weeks and now they live together and are still very much in love...

now nothing is perfect, she used to be really dosile and laid back until i bonded them and now she is dominating. she isn't agressive but about once a month hank gets his face humped just once lol and sophie kind of herds him around and forces him to play with her. but he is really laid back and just lets her do whatever she wants. i think that comes with neutering. he is about 20 weeks old now...

i think it could work, i just think your unneutered bun will be the dominating one, and if your neutered bun is laid back and dosile it could work.... just my two cents lol probably alot of ppl will tell you to neuter both of them.
I agree c:

Amelia is almost a year old and is still intact. She has had a litter when she was about 3-4 months old (before I got her). She and Korr get along fairly well. There is some humping from both of them, but that is really it. There have been no fights. It did take them some time to get used to each other and there was more humping at the beginning, but they have settled in more now. They have been living together in the same cage for about a month. The only real issue is that Korr gets a bit excited about pellets and chases her away, but is fine once I give the pellets and they sometimes eat form the same bowl.

Not all pairs will work, even if both are fixed. You need to take some extra time to get them used to each other and take into account the hormones. Intact rabbits can get along with neutered ones, but it can take a special pairing for it to really work.

that's the problem. Dante is not laid back at all lol. i tried to bond him before with another bun i was going to take in (was his sibling from before but they had not seen each other in a LONG time, so i didn't expect it to work any how) and he was acting really dominant. but yea i plan on getting the girl fixed if i do get her. so far the people haven't messaged me back, so i don't know if i will end up being able to get her.

It might work. How recently was Dante neutered? Remember it can take as long as 2 months after a neuter for a male's hormones to calm down and they're still fertile for up to 2 months after the neuter as well.

Latest posts

Back