Spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[r o s i e]

Reaction score
I have a 10 wk old who's growing up very fast. I was thinking of only spaying her if she "acts up". I don't have any other buns, so should I spay her when she gets old? How old do they have to be? And about how much does it cost?

Thanks!

Here the vets prefer to wait till about six months or so. If you do it too early it can interfere with their normal growth pattern I heard.
I have an eight months old doe who is going to be spayed next Tuesday. I learned the hard way - two accidental litters after excursions into our neighbour's garden (five male rabbits!!!!). Mind you she was sold to me as a male...
I also have an about 12 week old rabbit girl. I have to keep a very close eye on her. Can't let her have the run of the garden like I used to with Coco.
Costs will probably be different over in your part but the spaying here is way more expensive then the neutering. You pay between 100-150 euro here

At our rescue, we spay at 4 months. I also spayed my girls at 4 months. Spaying not only helps alleviate bad behaviours, but also prevents uterine cancer.

four months? That means my girl could be done by the end of September. Not sure if the vets would do it that early. I can't remember where I read this thing about the growth hormones. Is there anything to it you think

I haven't read to much about it with rabbits, but I know there have been studies done about that issue in dogs. Female dogs that are spayed early tend to have problems with incontinence. Males and females both can have growth issues, such as their legs growing longer than they were supposed to, causing things like arthritis and other skeletal issues down the road. Like I said, this is all in dogs, and I don't know if rabbits would react similarly or not.

These days they also use weight of the rabbit to determine when they're old enough to spay. A good vet will know, but a spay itself (anesthesia, surgery, pain meds, pre-op blood work) will run you upwards of $150. Like slavetoabunny said, it's a really good idea to have your girl spayed though. It will extend their lifespan, not just make their behavior better. If price is a big problem, contact your local humane society or rescue to see if they offer help/reduced-cost spay/neuters. I got both of my bunnies as adults from the shelter, so I didn't have to pay for the operations.

I guess it is probably safe once they've reached their adult size, although that might be hard to judge too... It's just a feeling I have, not based on actual knowledge. I doubt if it's done between six and ten months it'll be too late

I would definitely recommend spaying her even if shes a single bun. Not only are there behavioral benefits but, as others mentioned, health benefits as well.

Ive had most bunnies done around 5 months to be safe. Make sure you find a vet who is rabbit savvy as spaying is a more invasive surgery than a neuter. We have a MA rabbit savvy vet listing here for MA if youre interested.

Also, for more info check out our section on Spaying and Neutering in our Library!

Let us know if you decide to have it done and we'll help you prepare for the surgery and for her recovery.

Another good side to spaying is someday maybe you can get her a boyfriend!

Haley wrote:
I would definitely recommend spaying her even if shes a single bun. Not only are there behavioral benefits but, as others mentioned, health benefits as well.

Ive had most bunnies done around 5 months to be safe. Make sure you find a vet who is rabbit savvy as spaying is a more invasive surgery than a neuter. We have a MA rabbit savvy vet listing here for MA if youre interested.

Also, for more info check out our section on Spaying and Neutering in our Library!

Let us know if you decide to have it done and we'll help you prepare for the surgery and for her recovery.

Another good side to spaying is someday maybe you can get her a boyfriend!

Thanks. I found a vet on that list who works at the place my cat goes to, so it works out perfectly. When she's older I'll bring her there.

Back