Spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karona

Reaction score
Ok so my old rabbit Chloe didnt get spayedbecause she was ill and already 6 and the risk was to much according tomy vet. She was fine without being spayed and was the biggest suck.However Karna my new baby is just well a girl. She can get rather, howdo I say this, Bit*** with me some days. She is very teritorial andlike to spray my dog. I want her to be spayed but I must admit evenwith working a t a shelter and being a huge spay advicate I am soooscared. She is a rescue that was neglected and injured by her owner asan infant and if anything happened to her now I would die. She is mybaby and now is a little 8 month old brat. I need to hear about spayingand I need to know when the safest age to get it done is. I may soundnerotic but after all she has been throught I cant let her be in danger.

She's at a good age to be spayed rightnow. 5-6 months is usually the minimum, and risks increaseafter 2 years of age. As for her previous health problems, ifshe's healthy now she should be fine despite previousneglect. My dwarf hotot girls were in horrible conditionswhen I rescued them and they were very unhealthy. They wereabout 1.5 years old. I had them spayed almost three monthsafter I rescued them, and they did just fine and had really fastrecovery times.

If you are worried, I recommend having blood tests done before thesurgery. My vet recommends checking liver and kidney valuesbefore all surgeries just in case.

Here's the Rabbit Health References thread on Spaying and Neutering. You'll find lots of info there.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12040&forum_id=10

Thank you thank you times a billion. I am soreieved to hear a rescue story where spaying was sucessful. You do notknow how much you have helped me!!!!!!!!!!!

If you still have concerns, pmAngieluv. She takes care of her local shelter's rabbits aftertheir spay/neuters, and some of these have included prior neglect andabuse cases including one she ended up adopting. I think shesaid in the year she's been doing this, they haven't lost a singlerabbit. I know my local shelter hasn't lost any either withinthe last few years.

Latest posts

Back