Spaying questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigs

Reaction score
So my buns had their first visit to the vet today, Sable came in at 2.1kg, Rice at 2.12kg, and their much needed nail trim was a success (though they are very pissed off with me right now). I do want to get them spay and asked for an estimate and this is the list they printed me:

IV fluids .......................62.00 *
Spay...........................260.60
Lazer fee (optional)......83.00 *
Nail trim (comp)..............0.00
Metcam (x5).................21.80
Blood test....................61.00 *

Tax...............................24.42
Total...........................512.82 per rabbit (CAD)

The thing is I have very limited funds, very limited, and need to know which items from this estimate are ones that would be okay to decline. The vet gave me a short list of pros for these items (*'d) but are they really a necessity? I'm really concerned because I want to give them the best care but I also want to make sure that I can feed them, and myself afterward.

Could someone with a lot of vet experience or vet background please let me know which services are okay to decline and still give my buns the best chances of recovering okay. (I already consider the metcam something I can't skimp)

My vet charged $400 for a neuter, so I imagine their spay rate is about $450. I consider it very expensive, but was willing to pay that because they are one of the best rabbit vets around. Also because I live near NYC, so I'm used to things being expensive.

Have you called around? You should be able to find a spay under $300 I think, depending on how expensive your city is in general. Call around to your local shelters - they might have a discounted spay/neuter program you could take advantage of.

I believe that spays are 100% necessary for pet rabbits - for both happiness and healthiness. They will also not be able to live together unless they are spayed as female rabbits are very territorial.

They do get along well, though they get grumpy at each other for mounting attempts, so I do want to do the spay. It would also be good so Sable won't pull her fur out over another false pregnancy. The only other vet in the area that accepts rabbits has a higher rate. I'll try calling the shelters to see if they have a discounted program. Thanks for the suggestion :)

They are 8-9mos, they get along fine, though grumpy about mounting, they have never gotten into a spat that resorted to biting or scratching. My main interest in spaying is for hormone settling and reducing their chances for cancer.

Where in Ontario do you live? Some of us might be able to recommend a more affordable vet. I paid under $150 for everything, although I did not have a blood test done it is still considerably less than $500.

I am way down south in texas but I was quoted 125 for everything blood work and 5 days worth of pain meds.

If I where to say no pain meds and blood work i am more looking 75/80.

Of course I will get all it will be a good base line for later in life. But I think 500 is pretty high.

$500 is high even for NYC to be honest with you! Hopefully othe places you call are cheaper.

I would only say this: for a spay, don't skimp on the metacam. Painkillers are really very important for a spay surgery or it may be a tough time for your bunny. I'd say 3 days meds minimum. 5 sounds quite reasonable.

My vet quoted $420, which I thought sounded pricey. She specializes in rabbits, though, and was highly recommended, so it's well worth it for my peace of mind.

Ovariohysterectomy $283
Laser $65
Metacam injectable $39
Buprenorphine injectable $0
Diazepam injectable $0
Ketamine injectable $0
Acepromazine injectable $11
Metacam (3 doses take-home) $22

Spay...........................260.60
Nail trim (comp)..............0.00
Metcam (x5).................21.80
Blood test....................61.00 *

Those are the things from your list I'd get done. But $260.60 is high for a spay even for me and I use the University here that specialize in Exotics.

Latest posts

Back