Spaying question!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaoMoogle

Reaction score
Thumps, at the age of 4 or 5, has yet to be spayed because of my friends lack of knowledge!

I took her to a vet check up, and everything was clear and okay, but it's a different vet then the one I would be getting her spayed at. (due to the distance from home)

Because of her advanced age, and because she was at a different vet for her check-up, what would you recommend?

Do you think it would be okay? The vet said she was healthy, and I don't see or hear any problems!

:) Thanks

If you are sure the vet is competent and experienced then the age is not an issue. We do all ages at our shelter all the time.

it would be a good idea to take her to the vet who is doing the surgery for a check-up..mainly to check the vet out before you go ahead with it.
She should not be fasted before surgery and she will need pain meds after the surgery.
if he tells you to fast her don't go ahead with the surgery.
you may want to ask if they do laser surgery (easier on the rabbit) and what type of anesthesia they use.
Then you can bring the answers back here....

you want to know if he has done a lot of spays before on rabbits
the more without incident the better it is...shows that he/she is experienced

I agree with angieluv. It's still important to get her spayed, because the health risks will only go up from here. The vet may want to do blood work before to make sure her liver and kidneys are doing well before the anesthesia.

Latest posts

Back