Spaying my rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoiledBuni

Reaction score
i want to spay my rabbit soon, she is under 2years old. Should I or why shouldn't i? I have heard some benefits andsome risks. Should I take thechance?

It's good to spay female rabbits because they canget cancer very easily if you don't. I hope you find a goodvet...we're still looking.

-Carrie

Hi I can definitely recommend getting your bunnyspayed. I have a bonded pair a male & female, thefemale I have had spayed and the male neutered. Crunchie (the female)is the friendliest bunny I have had. All my other does that have notbeen spayed apart from one have gotten a little bit hormonal andtempremental from time to time but once they have been spayed you don'ttend to get these sorts of problems.

Also there is the advantage that they cannot get ovarian cancer asabove. Especially at times like these for my Crunchie as she has had amammary tumour removed and has to go in for another operation this weekto have another tumour removed. My vet says it is really positive thatshe has been spayed to stop the cancer spreading to her womb as shehasn't got one!

I recommend getting your bunny spayed unless yourgoing to breed her. Also, if you don't spay your rabbit andyou want to get another rabbit, make sure its another female otherwiseyou'll end up withkits.Cassandra

I think its close to 80%or even moreofdoes will get uterine cancer if not spayed. My big girl is going in onmonday. Im really nervous. She has been mounting my other female rabbitand chasing her bum. Lately shes been dropping her poopies to markterratory as well. Spaying reduces these behaviors as well as theintensity and frequency of digging and chewing. Its beneficial for boththe owner and the bunnys health. Spaying is more risky than neuteringthough, because its more invasive. Also while the buny is underanethesia the vet can check the bunnys teeth.

It seems like you know the benefits and risks and might just be lookingfor an opinion. Im apprehensive but i know its the best thing to do.Just make sure you find a vet that has spayed lots of bunnies beforeand has alot of experience and knolege about rabbits. Often duringsurgery the vet might find cancer already there and have to remove itwithout prior planning. Your vet needs to be knolegeable enough to notbe afraid of this happeneing and know how to deal with it.

I say take the chance. My vet has spayed many bunnies and never lostone yet. Again just make sure you find a competant bunny vet.

ooh ok. we have emmy for 5 months or so.. or maybe 6... and when does rabbits need to get spayed? how much does itcosts? do you have to get insurance or anything?

ok. thank you Buck. But does anyone know theprice range to get ur bunny spayed? I just want to know the price rangeso i can get a view of it. thankx

There are risks to any surgery.However, the risk of your rabbit getting uterine cancer is far higherthan any risks due to surgery under an experienced rabbit vet.

Pam

Depends...upon where you live and, in my opinion, what traffic willbear. Here in NJ, not unheard of to spend $200.00-$300.00,but in other parts of the country, I've read of it being as low as$40.00. Your locale, due to more farming and livestockproliferation , may be one of the more reasonable areas.

Some local SPCA's, animal control departments, animal shelters, and thelike may offer surgeries at no, or reduced costs. Be sure tocheck them out. We use such a local agency called AnimalBirth Control, Inc. that "brokers" procedures for us at less than halfthe usual rate. Only caveat is that we must use theveterinarian hospital it has contracted with and all monies are passedthrough the organization. As its contracted veterinarian isour veterinarian of choice, it is a win/win situation for us.

Whatever you do, try to find a rabbit knowledgeable vet who has hadexperience performing the operation on rabbits. Such rabbitknowledgeable vets often refer to themselves as "exotic"vets. House Rabbit Society publishes names of local vetswhomit recommends on its Internet site,http://www.rabbit.org/care/vets.html

Good luck to you and your bun. If you are not going to breed, it is the best thing you can do for all concerned.

Buck

wow:shock:thanx buck..so let me getthis clear..if im not going to to breed i have to spay emmy? and if iam breeding..i dont need to get her spayed?

If you are not going to breed your rabbit, you don't "HAVE" to spayher. It is highlyrecommended that you do for allthe reasons listed above by the posters.

If you do get her spayed, if would be impossible to breed her, as shecould not, then, get pregnant. Give the matter a great dealof thought, before you attemptto breed rabbits. Itis ofttimes fraught with difficulties and unanticipatedexpenses. Check the archives for topics uponbreeding. Pam Nock has compiled several wonderful andinformation packed posts on various aspects of rabbit breeding.

Do be careful, and try not to add to the thousands of throwaway bunnieswho are currently languishing inanimal shelters and rescuecenters, many of whom will be subject to euthanasia.

Buck

ok thanks buck! but i heard that some rabbits canhave cancer if they don't have spay?? is it true? and how do they getsonnected to the cancer?

there is something like a 3/4 chance that an unspayed doe (not good odds) will get ovarian cancer after 3-5 years.

buck is great for this statistic. i have seen it brought up lots lately around here.

sorry i dont understand the last part? "how do they get sonnected to the cancer?"

HERE HERE, I can't wait until I get home (Canada)and my girls get spayed! I had the option of travelling toTaipei here and having it done, but wanted to wait (communication isVERY important)

Just wanted to re-assure you with another vote of YES! (and no need to repeat all the excellent reasons already posted!)

Cher

Latest posts

Back