Spaying 1 1/2 yr old rabbit - WAS: Please answer ASAP, thanks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylover0523

Reaction score
I recently got my 1 & 1/2 year old holland lop spayed (we planon getting another rabbit). Was this a good choice? His surgery was yesterday, and he has been eating and looks healthy. I've read that bunnies that are spayedlater in lifeare at risk atmammary cancers, is this true and is my bunny at risk? Please answer ASAP. Thanks for your time.

(sorry, if this is in the wrong section; I couldn't find the right one...)

I don't think 1 & 1/2 is that old... It's a really good sign that he is eating already.

Bunnies that aren't desexed are at risk... particularly females though.

I think you did the right thing. Don't worry :)

I see that this is your first post so I want to welcome you to RO and invite you to post more about yourself in our Introductions forum.

I think it was a good choice. It's not that they're at risk because they are spayed, it's because they spent longer being unspayed.

My Fiona had a mammary tumor removed about a month ago. We adopted her from a shelter fully grown 4 years ago, so we don't know how old she is or how old she was when she was spayed, but we're hopeful that we caught it early enough that it hasn't spread.

Spaying and neutering really helps with the bonding process.

I have edited your title to give members a better idea of what the topic is about - this helps the infirmary mods sort through the various threads easier.

I think you did the right thing - I got a 5 year old doe neutered last month - I'm so glad I did.

1.5 is not old at all. The shelter routinely spays bunnies that old and older. Our Frida was spayed at approximately age 4. She does display some more hormonal female behavior than others that were spayed earlier in their life, but at 1.5 your girl is still quite young and shouldn't have many remaining hormonal behavior issues. Is she eating, drinking, and pooping ok?

Back