Spayed bun worth it in Eastern Ontario

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetPeasMom

Reaction score
I have a (single) bun who is very frisky theses days, but I find that $400 to have surgery a lot of money. :?

Anyone here NOT getting it done and how do you live with your rabbit trying to make out with your hand. :)

Do you hold them or leave them alone?
How do you calm them down?

Please help

I have one Male, Willard, that's not fixed. He's very sweet and doesn't spray or mark so I think he will stay intacted. And he's not in love with my hand so I don't have worry about that. Plus no aggression towards me or my husband.

Is your bunny male or female? If you have a female, I would consider the surgery. Females do tend to get cancer of the reproductive organs so spaying is really good healthwise. If you have a male, and spraying or marking is occurring, you can keep them intacted. Just learn to live with the "making out". Eventually as they get older, they do calm down a bit. Sounds like you are in the teenage months. Boy do those hormones come one like gang busters!

K:)

Yes she is female, she is a very clam, super affectionate bun, but right now; its only me she tends to love bite and try things to my hand.:confused2:

I thought she was trying at first to dominate me, until I saw here tail twitch which made me believe she was twitterpated.

she is a very healthy happy rabbit except for this or maybe I should overlook this.

SweetPeasMom wrote:
Yes she is female, she is a very clam, super affectionate bun, but right now; its only me she tends to love bite and try things to my hand.:confused2:

I thought she was trying at first to dominate me, until I saw here tail twitch which made me believe she was twitterpated.

she is a very healthy happy rabbit except for this or maybe I should overlook this.
If you don't want to spay her, then I would overlook this. It's part of a female's life and she showing her affection in the only way she knows how, which with an intacted female is mating. Sounds like she's a pleasure other than that way of affection. How old is she now? Hitting those teenage months (in my world 4 to 10 months)? If it's the teenage months, her hormones are just coming in. If you can deal with it, and she doesn't start getting aggressive, I would overlook.

All of ours are neutered. The cost of neutering can vary--in the town we lived, $400--a twenty minute drive = $125. Shop around and ask other people and rescue groups in your area for a recommendation. Neutering made all of ours better citizens.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
All of ours are neutered. The cost of neutering can vary--in the town we lived, $400--a twenty minute drive = $125. Shop around and ask other people and rescue groups in your area for a recommendation. Neutering made all of ours better citizens.
lol, better citizens. I think Willard missed that memo, because he's still intacted and definitely deserves the "Better Citizen" award. Truly a Gem.

Neutering and spaying does help calm a lot of the hardwiring down, but to each their own. A bunny can still be a "good citizen" intacted. It just takes a little more patience and understanding from us Humans.

With a male, I probably wouldn't neuter if there were no behavioral issues, at least after I made sure that people are right when they say that the surgery risk & the risk of male-related cancer balance each other out.

With a female, it's clear that intact females tend to die sooner than spayed females. Therefore I wouldn't want to take the chance that an animal I loved had a shorter life because of my decision to save money.

LakeCondo wrote:
With a male, I probably wouldn't neuter if there were no behavioral issues, at least after I made sure that people are right when they say that the surgery risk & the risk of male-related cancer balance each other out.

Already checked with a Rabbit Savvy Vet, if those "dirty habits" aren't showing up, there really isn't a health reason to neuter.

Well neutering certainly made Harvey a better citizen. He was a bit of a hornbun. haha. And he was an adult when I got him. And it only got worse. So it was either get neutered so the cats wouldn't hurt him or keep him in his cage all day, which I didn't want to do. I like him out and part of the family. He is much better behaved now. So I can leave him out most of the day and he is much nicer to the cats now haha.

Latest posts

Back