Spay after litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleys_mommy

Reaction score
How long should I wait to spay my girl after she weans her litter? Is there an increased risk with the surgery now that she's had a litter?

I can't imagine you have to wait at all. At the most, a few days maybe, for hormone levels to go down and her milk to dry up. Best thing to do is phone up your vet and ask when you can have it done.

Don't know of any increased risks from having babies.

FYI, make sure the spay includes take home pain meds.

FYI, make sure the spay includes take home pain meds.
Sorry to hijack the thread - how long should pain meds be given following the surgery? I called my surgery to schedule Clementine's spay today, and asked about pain meds; they told me they don't give any to take home, but they do give an injection for pain and anti-inflammatory that lasts for 24 hours.

You could wait a week or so to get her spayed. There really isn't much reason to wait too long, just to give her some time to recover from the litter and her milk to fully dry up. If you do notice she isn't acting normal when you take the babies away, give her some more time to get back to normal.
There should not be an increased risk to the surgery now that she has had a litter.

As far as pain meds, my vet tends to give about 8-10 days worth. It may vary depending on how the surgery went, but that seems to be the average. It is an invasive surgery and can be painful. Rabbits do hide pain well, but are less apt to eat if they are in pain. They may go at the incision more if it hurts, so that can be another issue. I know I would not want to go through a surgery like that without pain medication.

Hm. :( Maybe I'll push for them when I pick her up. Felix didn't have any apart from the injection they gave him and he was fine, but like you said, a spay is way more invasive (hence why I'm so much more worried!).

Back