Sparrow Is Being Mean?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionsRawr

Reaction score
So Sparrow and Bubble Gum are a bonded female pair. This is the maine reason I got them both, because they were so close my friend didn't want to seperate them. I did understand though that sometimes Bubble Gum will hump Sparrow. But otherwise they just give each other bunny kisses and what not. And really its not been a big problem at all.

Well yesterday I left them out of their cages in my bunny proofed room and went downstairs to get something to eat. When I got back up I notice a big wad of white fur on the ground. I looked both rabbits over but neither had any cuts or bald spots.

So today I left them alone for maybe 5 minutes when I started to hear thumping. So I went up and saw Sparrow with her paws up on Bubble Gums side. It looked like she was attempting to hump her.

I walked in and sat down on the floor and noticed that Sparrow had a little bit of white fur in her mouth. So I looked over Bubble Gum again and saw nothing worrying. But I put Sparrow back in her cage because I was cleaning.

So my question is. Should I just let the humping play out? Is it normal for the "humper" to pull out tufts of the "humpee's" fur?

Could this behavior be caused by the stress of the move?

Bubble Gum is doing great and was even purring and rubbing her head on me today. And while Sparrow is doing better today she is still much more unsure than Bubble Gum.

Oh and I know for a fact that these girls got along great at my friends house.

Are they both spayed? How old are they?

It could be unsettlement from the move and all the now smells in your home.

Mounting is normal and part of a bunnies communication, but it can be a problem if the other is not agreeable with being mouted and it doesn't particularly sound like Bubble Gum was over happy about it. When you leave your room does anything change at all? Like a door open? Another animal/person able to get in?

What time of day were they doing this?

Neither are spayed (im getting this done soon). Bubble Gum is 11 months and Sparrow is 8 months. It happens around the evening. I noticed last night while I was with them that when Sparrow mounted Bubble Gum , Bubble Gum just layed there and didn't thump or try and get away. So im not real sure about the occasional thumping or who its coming from.

The evening makes sense because the buns are most active at dawn and dusk so it makes sense for tyhere to be potential problems at those times (and frequently that does seem to happen).

It sounds more and more like they need to be spayed ASAP to avoid a potential fight breaking out. That will obviously only ease the problem if this is hormonal as opposed to dominance/behavioural, but it should definitely be the first port of call. Also, keep a close eye because it may be that if they get a bit funky with each other that you need to separate them when you're not around and see if they can do supervised play together (which they may or may not do).

Okay thanks for the advice! Im hoping to atleast get Sparrow spayed by the 13th. And then Bubble Gum after. It will definately be done though.

Latest posts

Back