Sparky hurt his paw

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my, We just got back. He needs surgery. He has a broken legimant. They say he was born like that, and it's only in 1 leg but it's 80% it will go into the other leg. I really can't stop crying right now, the surgery is 1,500 per leg. The vet suggests we do both leg because of the possibility of the other one getting damaged and then having to put him back into surgery when he's older. The bill would come out to be 3,000 $ with tax. Mom said, she could do that.. but they have to wait until febuary. The vet said he could'nt last that long.

I am sorry for what has happened. I do feel sorry for you, your family, and Sparky. We all warned you from the beginning to be ready for a health issue because you were buying from a pet store. It is just something that you had to prepare for, unfortunately.

I do wish happy healing on Sparky and your mom's bank account.

We also found out hes overweight. The doctor said if we can get him to lose the extra weight then it wont hurt him like it hurts him now, so then we can wait until febuary . For exapmle this is the diffrence if he looses his extra weight that put's pressure on his knees.

Getting attacked by a dog, to getting bit by a bun. Thatsa BIG diffrence. So he's currently on a diet.

Ok, so here goes a very controversial post...

My husky dog Star tore a ligament in his knee when he was 10 years old. Surgery would cost $1500 for one leg, and the other leg would have to be done as well. Sadly, my family couldn't afford to pay that for a dog at the end of his lifespan. He isa rambunctious animal, who runs about 20 km on a daily basis. He does not lie still, which would be necessary to have the leg heal post surgery. He jumps whenever he sees anything, right up on his hind legs (which were damaged).

My parents chose not to have the surgery, and rather keep an eye on him until he started to vocalize his pain, or was unable to move without pain. We took it a bit easier on him, going for light walks instead of runs. Over the long winter, the leg healed itself without our involvement.

He is still alive, 5r years later, and running the backroads at high speed, age 15. Were we lucky? Yes, possibly. He was (and still is) in good physical shape, and the injury happened while he was playing in the bush. Likely stepped into a hole and twisted his knee.

If your family has the money to spare, I guess that is your choice. We did not have $3000 to put into Star, and we wouldn't be able to ensure successful post op treatment. I would go with aggressive weight management, and leave it until February. Youshould follow tips for gentle massage and pain management, but it is likely possible for this to heal by itself.

I'm not a vet. This was just my experience :)

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Ok, so here goes a very controversial post...

My husky dog Star tore a ligament in his knee when he was 10 years old. Surgery would cost $1500 for one leg, and the other leg would have to be done as well. Sadly, my family couldn't afford to pay that for a dog at the end of his lifespan. He isa rambunctious animal, who runs about 20 km on a daily basis. He does not lie still, which would be necessary to have the leg heal post surgery. He jumps whenever he sees anything, right up on his hind legs (which were damaged).

My parents chose not to have the surgery, and rather keep an eye on him until he started to vocalize his pain, or was unable to move without pain. We took it a bit easier on him, going for light walks instead of runs. Over the long winter, the leg healed itself without our involvement.

He is still alive, 5r years later, and running the backroads at high speed, age 15. Were we lucky? Yes, possibly. He was (and still is) in good physical shape, and the injury happened while he was playing in the bush. Likely stepped into a hole and twisted his knee.

If your family has the money to spare, I guess that is your choice. We did not have $3000 to put into Star, and we wouldn't be able to ensure successful post op treatment. I would go with aggressive weight management, and leave it until February. Youshould follow tips for gentle massage and pain management, but it is likely possible for this to heal by itself.

I'm not a vet. This was just my experience :)
That made me think, he may actually be better by Febuary and not need the surgery.

Yes but Poms are prone to leg issues. I would not let this slip by because of other possible problems that could make it alot worse.

---------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomeranian_(dog)

The most common problem in Pomeranians is luxating patella. Also Legg-Calvé-Perthes syndrome and hip dysplasia can occur, but are rare in this small breed. Patent ductus arteriosus (a congenital heart defect) and collapsing trachea have become serious problems in Poms.

Luxating patella (or trick knee, subluxation of patella, or floating patella), is a condition in which the patella, or kneecap, dislocates or moves out of its normal location.

Patellar luxation is a common condition in dogs, particularly small and miniature breeds. The condition usually becomes evident between the ages of 4 to 6 months. It also occurs in cats, especially the Domestic Shorthair.[1][/suP]

It also occurs in humans, where it can be associated with damage to the anterior cruciate ligament.[2[/suP]

[suP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxating_patella[/suP]

[suP]------------------------[/suP]

[suP]I really really would suggest if you have the money in Febuary than do it. This is not an older dog this a young dog. Who will want to run and play. [/suP]

*hugs to sparky*

My girl has Grade I - the patella can be manually luxated but is reduced (returns to the normal position) when released. So I watch her carefully.

Latest posts

Back