Sore hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iheartmybunbun

Reaction score
Can anyone help me? My rabbit has very strange things on her paws and I don't know what they are!!!! Can anyone help!!????ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1384104580.480454.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Your rabbit has sore hocks. From the picture it also looks like your rabbits nails are quite long. If that is the case, that may be the reason for the sore hocks. When nails get long it changes how a rabbit walks on it's hind feet. Other things like the type of flooring your rabbit has, genetic predisposition, and also health problems like arthritis can cause a rabbit to develop sore hocks.

If the sores are open and bleeding or infected, or it is affecting your rabbits eating, or your rabbit seems like she is in pain, you will need to take your rabbit to the vet. If the sores aren't open, and your rabbit is eating and behaving normally, you can try clipping the nails first, then putting down a soft surface for your rabbit to be hopping on. Fleece fabric is often a good fabric to use. Keep a close eye on the sores, and if there isn't any improvement or it gets worse, you may need to take your rabbit to the vet to see if there is a health problem causing the sore hocks.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f22/sore-hocks-10407/

Last edited:
My dutch just got over her sore hocks. We trimmed her nails (even though they weren't that long), put some soft sunseed bedding in her cage, and treated the sores with a wound spray called Vetricyn. I would definitely recommend treating them with Vetricyn or something similar.

Depending on the severity, it may take awhile for them to go away and the hair to grow back. It took about a week and a half for Olivia's to go away completely, treating them with the spray a couple times a day.

Back