Sore Hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclairemom

Reaction score
I'm feeling like a horrid bunny mommy. Pixie has sore tootsies and hocks. She hadn't been moving around much and wasn't using her litter box like she should. I was looking at her and her toes looked funny like her nails were really long but she didn't have any hair on them. Picked her up and looked at her feet and she has a sore on the back hocks and tiny red spots on all her toes. There is no hair on the bottom of her feet. So I'm guessing these are pressure sores from no padding. I put fleece back in her cage and put A&D on her feet which she cleaned off as soon as I put her down. Any one else have this happen from cleaning?

What is her normal flooring like?

Fleece and soft blankets are needed until this heals. Trim her nails. Go to a pharmacy and pick up chlorhexadine in the first aid section, then dilute that in a bit of water to clean the bunnies hocks. If you pour any amount of water on her belly/back/feet make sure you dry her thoroughly and don't allow her near any drafts while she fully dries because you don't want any sniffles!

- what's A&D??

I'm feeling like a horrid bunny mommy. Pixie has sore tootsies and hocks. She hadn't been moving around much and wasn't using her litter box like she should. I was looking at her and her toes looked funny like her nails were really long but she didn't have any hair on them. Picked her up and looked at her feet and she has a sore on the back hocks and tiny red spots on all her toes. There is no hair on the bottom of her feet. So I'm guessing these are pressure sores from no padding. I put fleece back in her cage and put A&D on her feet which she cleaned off as soon as I put her down. Any one else have this happen from cleaning?
--sore hocks are indicative of flooring and weight,and breed-ie.rex,,--keep the feet sores from getting infected by using betadine-(not iodine)-a+d is ok if you wrap using a pad and co-ban-(not tight)--treat daily until healed--walmart has all this stuff,--sincerely james waller http://www.medirabbit.com --for complete guide--:bunnybutt::inlove::bunny22:

She has tile in her cage, flipped over for traction on the upper levels. Now everything is covered in a couple layers of fleece. She's a ND for her feet are tiny, I guess she had gotten a bit pudgy recently. I was lucky to even get any ointment on her at all she won't allow being flipped. Guess a trip to walmart is in order.

Latest posts

Back