Sore Hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite store brands

• Superpet

• All living things

• Grreat choice

• Other..(please name)

Results are only viewable after voting.

OreoTheBunny

Reaction score
My rabbit has sore hocks and im wondering how it could be treated. If he has to go to the vet, how much would it cost to take him?:?

take away the wire completely and give him something to sink his feet into but obviously the soreness will need to be treated by a vet.

here are some articles from our library collection
( the library is at the bottom of the main forum page)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11953&forum_id=10

The treatment would depend on the severity but I do agree that he needs to get totally off the wire bottom

You could posssible cut pieces of cardboard to fit over the wire bottom and change them regularly

can you describe his hocks in more detail. ?
For ex: I had a rabbit with the very beginning of sore hocks and I was able to treat it myself with bag balm ; I also cut the fingers off of old cotton gloves and used the little sleeves over his hocks.
if they are severe (bleeding and infected) you definitely should go to the vet as he may need an oral antibiotic in addition to bandaging

Angieluv-

His hock has 2 red bumps and they feel warm. There is no fur on the area and they feel like caluses. Where can you get bag balm?

I've heard that certain types of carpet can cause sore hocks. What type of carpet do you use? What is the texture like?

I'd put come cotton fabric down, or fleece it what i use for mine. I also use carpet but if the sore hocks are at all bad carpet could bother them (though its worked fine iwht my sore hocks bunny). I just use whatever carpet I come across scraps of.

Are her feet raw? Pussy? How much fur is mising about ? (or you could put a pic of it to give us an idea..)

I've put neosporin on my bunny's feet, and that helped. Her feet were pretty bad but after a couple of weeks of close careful care fur began growning back in some, they became less swelled and puffy, and now there's still not fur, but they've been fine for several months.

There isn't any fluid coming from them, but it is obviously swelled up. I just got Bag Balm but I need to know how to apply it.

Latest posts

Back