Sore hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pam9

Reaction score
Okay, I kind of feel like I'm overusing the forum - been posting a lot of questions lately! But I have another one.

I have a mini rex rabbit who has developed sore hocks. The first one I noticed was actually on his front paw, but now he has two on one of his back paws as well. I understand it pretty much comes with the rex rabbits having less fur on their paws than other breeds, but I recently took him to the vet and can't afford to take him back. He actually had the one on his front paw when I took him, but I pointed it out to the vet and then got distracted with his other problems (URI, conjunctivitis, arthritis).

How do I treat this? He's currently on sulfatrim (an antibiotic) for his URI, but I don't think that's affected his sore hocks either way. Should I wrap them (I don't think he'd like that). Apply neosporin? Any advice would be appreciated!

Neosporin is fine as long as it doesn't have pain meds in it. I like to use bag balm or udder cream, some thing made for cow udders. They keep the hocks moisturized but also keep them antiseptic. Non-staining iodine is also used often, but that's harder to find, unless you go to a farm store.

tonyshuman wrote:
Neosporin is fine as long as it doesn't have pain meds in it. I like to use bag balm or udder cream, some thing made for cow udders. They keep the hocks moisturized but also keep them antiseptic. Non-staining iodine is also used often, but that's harder to find, unless you go to a farm store.
I was going to say the same thing! Get the Neosporin without the meds, would probably be the easiest. Keep us posted.;) Keep him off wire for sure.

You're definitely not overusing the forum, that's what we're here for. :)

How sore? Are they infected? Or is the hair rubbed off and the skin exposed? Any breaks in the skin? Can you get some pictures?

Antibiotics won't do anything unless they're infected (other than prevent infection).

What is his flooring like? Sometimes certain types of carpet can be as bad as wire.

sas :bunnydance:

Thanks for the advice all. I started putting neosporin on his paws today. I didn't think the bottom paw was too bad, but once I uncovered the fur to put on neosporin, I discovered they're actually quite nasty looking - very red. I don't think there are any breaks in the skin, but I took a few pictures and maybe you guys can tell me. Sorry about the quality - they didn't come out that well.

Some more info - the bottom of his cage is soft bedding, and when he comes out he usually sits on a towel - not a big mover anymore. Though when he does run around it's on tile, since his cage is in the kitchen. I recently ordered him a sheepskin pad from PalacePet - I was planning to use it for when he comes out instead of the towel.

The rabbit under so much discussion
27066_716055182564_5319560_40856408_5690828_n.jpg

Front paw
27066_716055187554_5319560_40856409_932566_n.jpg

Back paw - two sores - one is back of his foot and one is sort of mid-way
27066_716055192544_5319560_40856410_7741985_n.jpg

In our shelter in Michigan, we use Silvadene cream on sore hocks. You should also worry about if he is overweight or not. If he is that could aggravate the sore hock issue. Do you think that maybe the bedding you're using in the bottom of his cage is aggravating the sores? Is that Aspen bedding? Would it be poking at the sores? Would it be better to litter train him in a box and then just let him sit on the bottom of the plastic smooth cage when he is resting in the cage?

hi! have had this with my rex, roxy. i line her bunnery with fleece - there's always a supermarket or fabric shop selling some off cheaply. she doesnt help herself tho' - just loves to chill out on concrete. if i cover it up she digs down to get to it:p

Silvadene would be great, but isn't that prescription? Anything that's moisturizing and antibiotic will be a good choice. Of course a stronger antibiotic compound, like what's in Silvadine, will work faster and better, but that's not always available.

hartleybun wrote:
hi! have had this with my rex, roxy. i line her bunnery with fleece - there's always a supermarket or fabric shop selling some off cheaply. she doesnt help herself tho' - just loves to chill out on concrete. if i cover it up she digs down to get to it:p

But doesn't she make a mess of it? Unfortunately, Bailey isn't litter trained - I was pretty uneducated about rabbits when I first got him, and I think it's too late now. He's at least 8 years old.

What we use to line his cage now is Aspen bedding. I don't know if it's aggravating his feet or not, but with his arthritis, I think he needs something soft to lay on. He's not overweight at all, actually, I would like him to put on a pound. He used to be heavier, but with age he's lost some weight - not as big an eater now. The neosporin seems to be helping, I think. His sores look a little less red.

pam9 wrote:
hartleybun wrote:

But doesn't she make a mess of it? Unfortunately, Bailey isn't litter trained - I was pretty uneducated about rabbits when I first got him, and I think it's too late now. He's at least 8 years old.

What we use to line his cage now is Aspen bedding. I don't know if it's aggravating his feet or not, but with his arthritis, I think he needs something soft to lay on. He's not overweight at all, actually, I would like him to put on a pound. He used to be heavier, but with age he's lost some weight - not as big an eater now. The neosporin seems to be helping, I think. His sores look a little less red.
unfortunely for these thin furred creatures,,its the best we can hope-for is that it is not an open wound,subject to infections...sincerely james waller

james waller wrote:
unfortunely for these thin furred creatures,,its the best we can hope-for is that it is not an open wound,subject to infections...sincerely james waller

too true!

i buy fleeces from several different places - supermarkets, pound shops, fabric shops selling remnants. mine also have cardboard boxes and shredded paper to chew and dig. roxy isnt too bad at destroying her fleeces - she does tear them when piling up her day bed tho'

i see bailey is an indoor bun judging by his cage - you should be able to get away with a small piece of fleece lining.:)

I use Corona Original Lanolin-Rich Ointment for sore hocks and just about everything else in between. It soothes down the inflammation and encourages hair regrowth.

Method I use:
1. Apply ointment to sore area of the hock generously. Really dab the stuff on there.
2. Wrap the foot(s) in gauze, or toilet paper if you have none. Be sure to move up the leg so that the wrapping doesn't just slip off.
3. Using clean fur, create a 'fur ball' and put under sore part of hock. Pillow stuffing, sheepskin, or nest-saver type material also works. I usually keep some nest-box fluff on hand for this purpose.
4. Apply another layer of gauze or TP, and tape shut. Medical bandage is ideal, but in a pinch I've used everything from Packing tape, to Scotch tape, to black electrical tape.

If you have a cone, nows the time to use it. I often have the problem where the bunny will shred it off his foot within a few hours. A head cone in this case is a life saver.

The ointment will melt and absorb into the skin with the body heat.
I've used this on everything from horses, to dogs, to rabbits, even rats. It's #1 shining quality is that it promotes hair regrowth, in addition to soothing down inflammation and promoting the natural healing process.

I have a rescue horse that had a itchy reaction to the conditioner I normally use and rubbed off all the hair on his forehead. I greased him up with this stuff, and saw new hair growth within a few days. Plus, it stopped the itching.

Another thing that others here have done with serious sore hocks is to cut the fingers off cotton gloves and put that on the bunny's foot, tight enough that they can't get it off, but not so tight as to cut off circulation. It can keep the wound cleaner that way.

Latest posts

Back