Sore hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
I was editing the infirmary section and saw a thread on sore hawks and it got me thinking about storm.

Ok here we go.

Storm has had 2 red dots on the back of his back feet I guess it would be the same as where our heel is. I thought this was normal cause he has it the same on both feet. And maybe I am misunderstanding but it seems that it is not.

I will get a picture later tonight when hubby is home but it is 2 dot one on each food of a red bump. I just thought it was his heal like we have a hard spot on our heal.

So is this normal or something that is a form a sore hocks.

Thanks in advance.

Should I start the antibiotic.

I have some from his nueter still

He has had them going on a months is when i noticed them but I just thought they where normal I will get some bag bolm this afternoon.

I cant stare at the computer anymore so I will o play with him and check on him.

See how bad they are man I wished I would have knew earlier.
Could the cat litter in his litter box be causing them.

He is on carpet in his cage and the second layer is card board.

No wire what so ever. He has plenty of room to move around in his cage that's for sure.

So all I could think of is the litter. I am going to wal mart today to get a screen that they suggested on another post of myne will that help.

AKKKKK!!!!!

Don't use cat litter for a rabbit.....

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12084&forum_id=17

if they eat clump litter it will clump in their guts and cause BIG problems and the dust from the non clump is too much for a rabbit's delicate repiratory system

You don't have to start antibiotics; if you don't know what bag balm is you can put some neosporin (plain) on the calluses
if you can post a pic of his hocks it would help as they don't sound bad...

if his nails are long it will throw off his stance and lead to sore hocks so check his nails; if they are long they will need to be clipped
cat litter is not safe with or without a grate

I have to wait tell hubby gets home to get a good picture I will try Now but I cant promise anything I know what bag balm is to be honest when we moved I threw the one I had a way i think wait let me make sure.

Yeah i threw it away. I had not used it sense my 2 year old dog ripped her pads when she was 4 months old. So it was old.

I will go get some today for sure. I have to go to radio shack to get a new batery for my dogs bark collar. So I have to go that way anyway. He will be ok for another few hours its already 12:30 hubby gets home at 6. I am going to try to get a picture.

SDC10242.jpg

This is both the pictures are not that good storm does not like being held.

SDC10243.jpg

SDC10244.jpg

SDC10245.jpg

SDC10246.jpg

Where they are in right on the end of the bone.
I was feeling thats where they are.

there no worse then they where when I first found them.
His nails where cut a month ago they get done again to day when hubby gets home.

The first is dogs meds and flee stuf and nails and such and storm sent glains and nails. Basic monthly maintenance for all pets happens on the first.

It doesn't look bad at all just get some bag balm and rub it in the areas..sometimes they get this no matter what they are sitting on.. a few of mine have the same thing.

Thank you will get it tonight.

You've gotten all sorts of good advice already. Have you decided what to use instead of cat litter in his box?

I am still trying to figure it out cause he wont use yesterdays news.
I cant find wood stove pellets
He wont use those paper litters you get from petsmart.

The only reason I foudn out he would use cat litter is because I watched a friends cat and had the litter box by his cage when i let him out he went straight for the cat litter and used it.

He will pee in it but not poo he poops in cat litter.
Any ideas on litter.
I would be open to ideas
I cant do mail orders
Something I can find locally

What about Feline Pine? It's basically wood stove pellets, but more expensive (but sold at PetSmart). Aspen shavings would be ok too (not pine or cedar!). You could also just do a few layers of newspaper and lots of hay, if you can get hay cheap and you change the box frequently.

Feline Pine
I will try that. I think that may work. I can get it at petsmart?
Now he is a wood chewer will that be a problem he will chew any wood once he realizes it is wood its all over.

One of the web sites that is in that link says cat litter none dust is ok.
I am not contradicting I am just letting yall know.

I will get the link to the one I saw.

Dust-free, unscented clay cat litter. Make sure it's dust-free and doesn't contain any deodorant crystals. Choose another litter if your rabbit is a digger. No clay litter is 100% dust-free, and the dust from digging may cause respiratory problems.

The link

..But it also states that if your rabbit is a digger it could cause respiratory problems

I cared for rabbits (as petsitter) for a woman who refused to use anything but cat litter.

Biggest dust mess I ever encountered :pssd:it got stuck to their feet

just awful

(never would I ever use cat litter for a rabbit)
and expose them to that dust .. believe me non-dust still has dust as I have cats at home also.
you can get pelleted pine horse bedding (which is kiln dried) at farm fleet for 30lb. for $5.49. ..I have 7 rabbits.. and 1 shelter guest and that's what I use

only problem is it is heavy

Yeah i am going to try a few but if he wont poo in them I will have to stick with something he will poo in I am going to go to the pet store tomorrow. And have him order me some.
I do have a feed store close to me I am going to call and see what they have also.

I guess the one good thing is storm does not dig very much he does dog but mabye once a week when he gets mad.

I am going to find something different. Start using different ones. Is there any that if he chews them it ok.

cause anything wood I have a feeling he will chew. I wants what is best for him so I am going to find something.

I had rabbits that ate yesterdays news and also carefresh but they never seemed to like the pelleted pine.

you can also get a grid for the top of the litterbox.

Wow i have a long list now of litters and I am going to find a grid

So hopefully something works.
Would it be safe to slowly stitch kinda like food put the new litter over the old litter tell he learns.

I know I do need to get rid of the cat litter asap but to try to get him to use something. could I put about half and half for a week or so.

Well we got the green bag i have to look but I tolod the lady at the pet store the names and she told me to get this one.

Wish me luck. I also got a grid.

What is the best way to cut it.

angieluv wrote:
cat litter is not safe  with or without a grate

Can I ask why?
Also, sorry to hijack the thread but CJ's hocks are bald and slightly red but there is fur covering them, is this ok? I usually put tea tree oil cream on his feet nicely which has stopped the redness but they are still bald?
M x

Latest posts

Back