Sore Hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Ok here is the scoop:

bo has sore hocks. They aren't open wounds but one of his back feet has a long pinkish place and it has a place that looks like a bruise at one end. It's not raised or anything but I am worrying about abcess forming.

I put neosporin on it and I am rebuilding his cage so that he's not having to jump up to his second level. He uses the litterbox no matter what is right where he jumps so I have to keep a box there. He's jumping onto woodypet!! That's why I put a canvas on it. Anyhow, I am building him one level and then maybe a little shelf area but not much higher than his main floor. He's in a long narrow NIC cage but it's always been plenty for him. Now he'll actually have a bit more floor space and maybe one less litterbox (he has 2 currently).....

I have put grass mats, resting mats, blankets, EVERYTHING in this cage but he's still worse than I think he's ever been. :tears2: I worry about my Boo.

Should I take him into the vet tomorrow? Do they sound really bad with that little reddish bruise looking place?

The other foot is just pink on that part. His front feet are good.

I know I've discussed sore hocks here before but I don't know where the thread is.

Sparky has always had a tendency for sore hocks. As long as the skin isn't broken I just keep a close eye on it. I check her everyday. If the skin starts to look cracked, I treat it with neosporin and keep a closer eye on them.

Sparky's feet have actually improved significantly lately. One of her rear feet and one of the front have the fur totally grown back in and the other two feet are pink, but very healthy looking.

Just one of the things you have to keep a close eye on with rexes.

Thanks!

Have you ever seen dark spots like I described?the bruise look? The rest is more like "tender hocks"I would think - not really sore looking.

I would just watch him and make sure that his gait is normal, and also watch to make sure the spots don't become open wounds or anything of that nature.

I agree with watching it, but if you would feel more comfortable bringing him to the vet then you should.

Something my vet recomended why Wash had sore hock (not opened, just pink) was putting a liquid bandage on it to keep bacteria out. You'd have to hold him down until it dried all the way though, which was a problem with Wash, but if you can do that I think it would help a little. It would also keep urine off of his feet which might be adding to the problem.

You might try Bag Balm.

It may help condition his hocks so they won't be so prone.

We use bag balm... they don't seem to mind it and it works good if you catch it early... (like it sounds like you did!) :wink

I have a question because I've had two develop sore hocks recently...

...if you don't catch it right off - are they likely to go off their food? We had one go off his food (we probably caught it like after one week - maybe less....we noticed he was standing funny).

I'm now treating him and trying to get some weight back on him.

Peg

If they are in pain or uncomfortable, they can go off food. Then you deal with another whole issue. Gut stasis, weight loss, lowered immunity, hock infections, etc... (Rabbit problems seem to compound rapidly... you know... :foreheadsmack:)

bag balm is safe if they lick it?

He's in deep doo doo with me this morning! He decided that his new litterbox is a blankie in the new hideout. :X

Yeah, the bag balm is safe (in regular small qualtities, I wouldn't give them gobs to eat... you know what I mean.), it was designed for cow udders. Seems to relieve some discomfort. I apply a thin layer twice a day.

Just wanted to update again!

First, I got the bag balm. It works well and Bo didn't mind it much. He also had a sore spot where he was molting, I brushed him and didn't realize there was a bald spot - so it got sore. Anyhow, I used that and it did really well - made his fur funky for a few days but it's fine now :)

Yesterday I checked his hocks - I hadn't looked at them in about 4 or 5 days and they were better then. NOW they are AWESOME!! He's even got fur grown back over some of it! He still has the little heal calluses, but they are really looking good. One is not even the least bit "red" or "pink" looking. The other is so much better it's hard to believe!

I've had a lot of advice for the cage flooring and stuff and I appreciate it. His fleecey litterbox is a pain in some ways but it's worth his healthy feet! YAY!

SO happy to hear there was so much improvement. You will have to keep an eye on the hocks in the future. He may always have an issue there. Some rabbits just don't have enough felting (fur) over the hocks and some breeds are just prone to sore hocks. But making accomodations in their living environment goes a long way to helping.

I have seen Flemish Giants with the problem as a young adult "grow out of it" after a time as the fur gets thicker over the hocks (if you can prevent the abcesses and infections).

YEAHHHhh BO!

I'm amazed at how easily he healed up! I think it was the way he had to jump down into woodypet (which was his fault but still a problem) so now he's got lots of nice padding. He hasn't messed up the blankies on his upper level since I built the cage and put them there. I love that! The one box is a pain since we actually have to lift the cage off of it (too wided to slide out) but it's ok. He's doing much better using both boxes.

I swear by multiple types of surfaces! He has fleece over grass mats, fleece over woodypet (the front and the back is just woodypet and that's where he pees LOL) and plastic canvas over woodypet, oh and a grass mat. When he's out, he has wood floor, rug, bricks, and sometimes blankets and cardboard.

That and losing a bit of weight - he's in a much better mood!

WOW!! I'm so happy to hear he's healed up so nicely and is happier! WONDERFUL!!

Give him lots of:pet::flowerskiss: and:big kiss: for me!! :biggrin2:

I just wanted to make one note. Someone had mentioned using a liquid bandage on the sore hocks. As for how well it would work, I have no idea, but that stuff tends to burn really badly when you use it. They may have something better now that wouldn't burn that way, but check lables carefully jsut incase.

Thanks! and Rosie I will certainly give him love for you! He's enjoying his PWELLETS right at the moment LOL!

I don't know that I would use the liquid bandage on the open wounds either. Bo's weren't open but red and inflamed.

WOOHOO!!....for healthy hocks!!!:bunnydance:

.........there was a container of Bag Balm in Buck's bunny box.;)

Latest posts

Back