sore hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceeteh07

Reaction score
how do sore hocks look like?

My bunny Kane has patches of what looks like fur just shed off on his feet... but not underneath (get it?)... I mean... it looks like this.but it's not found on therehttp://islandgems.net/sorehock.gifcouldn't elaborate it more.. sighs.. Kane's condition of skin is dry,well, pink, and flaky...

I am not sure what it is but his girlfriend, Taker, doesn't even have those..

maybe I could put pictures later on, I just have to find my camera...

also.. will the sight of my tarantula/scorpion scare them? I mean, I don't really get them near to each other (I totally separate them)...but I would just like to know, cause I have arachnids as my pets too

The arachnids won't scare the rabbits, however, your rabbit may try to attach them if he has access to them.

Are you saying the fur is missing off the tops of the feet and not the bottoms? Fur mites or a fungal infection are possibilities if your rabbit has dry, flaking skin. He might also be over-grooming his feet. It would be best to take him to the vet for a proper diagnosis.

Pam

yes, that's what I was trying to say... only the tops.. well, and on the sides... but not really on the bottom... like that I posted (on the picture)

I searched the net about fur mites and fur losses... I got this link

can someone help me about this... ?http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

I really hope it's not an infection... :(

(sorry I posted on the wrong board)

I agree with Pam, you need to have a vet check this out. If it is mites or a fungal infection, the other bun probably has it too and will also need to be treated.

While you're there, have the vet make sure that Kane is actually neutered. I wouldn't trust a pet store.

ceeteh07 wrote:
can someone help me about this... ? http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

I really hope it's not an infection... :(

This really isn't something that can be properly diagnosed over the internet - the vet will need to test for a fungal infection.Treatment will vary depending on the actual cause of the fur mites.

Pam

okay, I still haven't talked to a vet yet.. It's so hard to find someone who knows about rabbits... usually, rabbits aren't really "a thing" here... it's always the cats and dogs...

but I am still looking for solutions as much as possible until I have called a vet already.

if it is fur mites... I am just scared if they might come back and attack him or worse, both of them... are there ways to avoid ear, furmites? I clean their cage every two days, and I make sure their place is clean.. but why are they getting fur mites (if that's the case)

is it possible that i can link their diet to this?

Any vet would be able to test for a fungal infection, even if they aren't fluent in rabbits.

Generally, mites aren't very common on the feet. When rabbits run in moist grass, fungal/bacterial infections are not uncommon. Some of the products used for treatment may cause illness when ingested, so I do not want to recommend a treatment over the internet. (Especially when there has not been a definitive diagnosis).

Pam

hello... until now, I am having problems looking for a vet that would take care of my Kane. this is so sad, they are so mean.... I called them up and asked them if they could check my rabbit, they just said "We don't take care of rabbits" and then hung up.

anyway.... about Kane.. well, the bald patches are growing with furs already and fortunately, it's not spreading through my bunny's body... it stays where they are...

but please help me anyway if someone can explain to me what's happening.. I am rather worrying...

Can you post photos? It's nearly impossible to venture a guess over the internet without at least being able to see the condition.

Pam

Back