Sore hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven123

Reaction score
My bunny Skylar is starting to get sore hocks. They are not open wounds yet but I have noticed the skin is staring to peal a little and it looks very red and not good. I’m worried about her as she’s only about 7 months old and she’s getting spayed in a couple weeks here. I have gotten bandages and I’m going to apply them soon along with covering the bald spots with a little fur that I brushed from her and Hermione. She doesn’t like when I try to take pictures of her hocks and when I do take pictures, the pictures make the hocks look a lot better than they actually are. Around the baldness it is very red and a little purple too and looks swollen. I have started doing a lot of research but I’m just wondering if I can get any tips from you guys. She is a polish bun and her flooring is on concrete which is covered by pee pads and a blanket over those. They are on concrete temporarily until we get the carpets done which is still a couple weeks ahead of us. They have been in the furnace room for about a week or so because we got the walls painted. I will try my best to get some pictures of her hocks later.

My bun had sore hocks and she was on carpet. I put the foam pads that are made for kids play rooms down and then covered them with blankets, and it helped a ton. Only problem was, my male bunny got under blankets and ate some of the foam. It took a lot of trial and error, but for now I have bunny proofed the set up. Who knows how long it will last.

You can use cardboard under the pee pad, it will work as a way to lessen the pressure and make the flooring a bit softer.

If your girl have different spots she spend a lot of time on, place soft bedding or a lot of blankets in that area 😊

Ok I will try to get some foam mats and cover most of the area with those and then i will cover the rest of the area with cardboard because I do have some foam mats but I don’t have enough to cover the entire area so I have to work on getting the rest covered. I am still planning on at least trying to put some bandages on. On some websites it says you can put Neosporin on their hocks and I haven’t yet but I just want to know what you guys recommend and I’m wondering if I should actually put some Neosporin on.

If you do put Neosporin on, make sure it’s the one without pain relief,
it’s toxic.

Last edited:
Try F10 ointment if the hocks look red. Just a tiny amount, rub it in so it gets absorbed.

I have put down foam mats and cardboard under a bed sheet in her playpen but her hocks still look very red and haven’t scabbed yet but her hocks still look very painful and I am wondering if I should take her to the vet yet or not. I do have a rabbit savvy vet near me that I went to once and they did very well when my other bun went into GI stasis after getting spayed. My other bun started eating veggies again I think just that night and started becoming an active little bun again. I will try to get a picture now but it’s a little hard since does have longer hock fur and there is a little covering the bald spot but still doesn’t cover it well enough.

these are her sore hocks, they do look a bit better today and they don’t look as red but still look a little scratched up still. There is no blood or scabs but her top layer of skin does seem like it is getting torn up a little. She does have a plastic tunnel and I was wondering if that could affect her hocks in any way.image.jpg
A2104ED9-8E64-4728-BBC7-AE0749D06918.jpegFB49A611-D460-4F9A-9986-8F0477688CC5.jpeg

From what I can see in the pics, they really don't look bad. I would just leave it and keep an eye on it. I think I would remove the tunnel, not so much because of the sore hocks but it looks like someone has been nibbling on it.

Latest posts

Back