Sore Hocks or.....?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyAutumn

Reaction score
I have a Mini Rex rabbit who is about a year and a half old. For a while she has had these small bald patches near her heel. Now it could be Sore Hocks but I am not sure. I have also heard that Mini Rexes and Rexes are in a greater risk of Sore Hocks because of their thin fur. She is almost always free ranging (in an all carpet bottom floor) and her cage has no wire, just a solid floor with fleece. I also keep a lot of blankets around that she enjoys to lay on. Also these patches do not look infected or red at all. So, what do you think? Sore Hocks or not? Thanks in advance! :)

Hey!
I saw pictures of Sore Hocks and they look like bloody scabs...so if your bunny has anything that looks like scabs on the bottom of her feet then it's really possible. I have a Mini Rex too (which is awesome) and she only walks on soft carpet or rugs and towels and her feet are fine, so the blankets are definitely a good call! If her feet seem to get worse then I suggest going to a vet and have it checked out. I hope I gave some good help. :)

if they are not open sores then there is no worry. When they become irritated or open then they will need treatment. I believe bag balm can be used to give a soothing effect on any callus' they may have. It is not proven if the type of flooring makes a difference in general. Every rabbit is different. I have heard of cases where rabbits are living on solid/carpet or blankets and the hock sores open up but once they are housed with a wire floor the sores heal and there is never another problem.

Since it is a mini rex I would be inclined to say it can be a possible sore hock problem if not watched and maintained.

the type of flooring doesnt really make a difference. I have 2 rabbits both have sore hocks one was from a rescue she was on wire cages for awhile, and the other ive had since he was a baby. My boy has sore hocks and hes never been on anything but carpet and blankets, weight is a big thing with hocks. If you do suspect sore hocks bagbalm can be applied, or if they start to become open sores you can apply a liquid bandaide just make sure you let it dry fully before you let your bun run around.

Hi I have a Rex rabbit named Tobby. He used to live in a wire cage at my work but since I know take care of him I put him in a playpen in my room. We have wooden floors. I noticed one sore on his front foot and took him to the vet. The vet cut off the sore and told me to keep it clean and rinse warm water on it. Now I'd say its almost two weeks later and I noticed both his front feet have sores! I need to know what I can do to treat them. They are not open sores from what I can see they just are really red and swollen. I heard neosporin can help but I have the one with pain relief in it- is that ok to use?

No, don't use the kind with pain relief. That's bad for rabbits. You can use the plain ointment, without the pain relief, but you may also need to cover his feet to help protect them so they have a chance to heal. This link shows someone who used baby socks to protect her bunnies feet while they healed, but it was on the back feet of her rabbit.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/bunny-trouble-69718/index2.html
It might be more difficult to keep socks on the front feet. I have a bun where his back feet were starting to get sore. He had carpet in his cage, but apparently that wasn't soft enough for his feet. I put fleece down instead and that fixed the problem. Try putting fleece down over the wood floor, in his pen and maybe that will be enough, along with the neosporin ointment, to help his feet heel. Also check his nails to see if they need trimming, as that can also cause sore feet problems in rabbits.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back