Sore hock??? HELP!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't searched much but I did find an article discussing EOs and rabbits/pets in general. It seems that dilution is VERY important with EOs. Did you check the EOs for any instructions on diluting the oil? Here's the article, if you'd like to read it:

http://ilovemyhouserabbit.com/essential-oils-the-hidden-dangers-for-well-meaning-rabbit-lovers/

Not trying to scare you, but if something you used on him fits the bill it could be helpful information to take with you to the vet. I hope Basil will be okay and heal quickly! ):

Diluting essential oils IS very important. I've used them myself, and let me tell you: they are STRONG. I've look into what it was and how much should have been used. If it continues and more, I'd definitely get him in to the vet. In the mean time, I'd clean off anything off his feet you can.-maybe use some sort of mild soap that is Bunny Safe to clean it off and rinse well.

Hope your little guy is feeling better soon!

Last edited:
I hope he feels better too. I believe everyone told you on here that there were no open wounds and treatment wasnt necessary. . .

Poor dude. Good Luck

Sorry to hear this. If the fair is next week then there is no way you'll be able to show him with open wounds...it won't heal that fast. Based on the picture you had posted I think he could've been shown. I know there are home remedies out there but you should take him to the vet at this point. It's possible the oil was absorbed into his skin and you'd need a vet's advice about that.

Wash the feet with soap and water, rinse thoroughly. Take him to the vet ASAP - sounds like either oral (mouth) or dermal (through the skin) intake! Do NOT wait this out!

If bunny is not eating or drinking, they can go downhill VERY fast.

Their is fur like overlapping the sores and the judge at our county fair (our fair is TINY) judges all the animals I think so he's not very intelligent. I've been eligible for state fair many years and there isn't even 10 rabbits in total for 4-H.. There's some open class. Anyways, I'm hoping after I bring him to the vet they will heal a little bit and I doubt the judge will notice the sores. Then I will hopefully have them healed by state. Maybe..

I'm almost 100% sure I'll take him to state as long as the sore hocks are healed a little or not noticible.. The only reason I notice them now is because I know they are there. There is fur overlapping the sores so I couldn't see it for a while.

The rabbits at my county fair are not really the best show rabbits and I'm the only one who brings Holland Lops and my rabbits are pretty good. They have a few legs so I'm really hoping Basil will make it to state.. This all is just putting a damper on things.. I'm praying for a miracle :)

Honestly I believe you are downsizing this problem. If he has open sores a judge should notice and will DQ him. Taking him to the fair could create even more problems such as stress or risk him opening the wounds and making them worse. I HIGHLY recommend NOT taking him to the fair and giving him time to heal. Is it really worth it?

Basil is eating and drinking normally. I went to the vet today and she gave me Nolvasan scrubs to wash his feet 1-2 times a day for 3-5 days. She also gave me Nolvasan ointment to put on after I scrub his feet for 3-5 days. I asked her about the fair and she said his feet should be callused and fine by fair.

Is he still showable? Someone on www.allexperts.com told me this:

"No - he wont be able to compete at the fair. Fair judging is based on the SOP for each breed (standard of perfection/breed/breed standards) and sore hocks is an immediate disqualification. in fact, most fairs wont even let a rabbit with evidence of prior sore hocks on the table. You can either return him to the seller and get your money back, keep him as a pet knowing that his feet will need constant care, or have him humanely euthanized. If you choose to re-home him, please be certain to let the new owner know that his feet will require special care for the remainder of his life."

I'm not familiar with All Experts, so I'm not sure who is answering questions there. But this response seems a bit premature.

Holland Lops have very strong personalities, as I'm sure you've witnessed. With intact bucks, this can mean some VERY messy bucks. I have had many who like to keep their cages impeccably clean and others who give pigs a run for their money. Some Holland bucks spray...a lot. That, coupled with a solid floor area can be a disaster for an intact buck. I believe this is a case of urine burn, not sore hocks.

I'd recommend sectioning off the solid part of the hutch so that he can't access it. I also wouldn't recommend a litterbox, unless it has a grate over the top so he's not standing in the litter. You can order a hard plastic, slotted, resting mat from most cage companies for under $3. This is a good option because it's easy to wipe off daily if he continues to mess it up, and if he pees it falls through the floor.

Messy bucks also seem to do best if they're not housed close to other rabbits. If you're able to move his hutch a few feet away from the others, that may help a lot. I don't have quite that much room, but I separate my messy bucks from the rest of my rabbits with solid cage dividers. It does tend to help.

That should clear up the cage situation and make it a little less possible for him to "marinate" in perfume de buck.

Secondly, it would be a good idea to give him a bath this week. Always bathe rabbits at least a week before fair so their fur can recover some of its natural oils. Just fill a sink with about an inch of water. It helps to have someone hold him in the water while you spot-clean only those spots necessary (sounds like his belly/feet and maybe tail.) Don't submerse him in water or rinse his whole body...just the dirty parts. Make this as quick as possible (a minute or two). Then take him out and towel dry him as best you can. Make sure the weather is mild or his coat is thoroughly dry before he goes back outside.

As for his feet, usually bag balm helps clear up sore hocks.

It will take a few weeks, but you should notice that your buck starts living a bit of a cleaner lifestyle and hopefully will stay cleaner.

Based on the pictures, I wouldn't expect that your rabbit would be disqualified from a fair show, but it probably depends on the judge. I don't think there is any harm in taking him if there are no open wounds. If there are, please keep him at home.

If his feet seem irritated on the wire until his fur grows back, it may help to cut up an old towel and give him a piece to rest on. You can switch out the pieces daily and wash them. His feet may be a bit tender while they're still bare, but Hollands have very thickly-furred feet and he should be fine once it grows back in.

OakRidgeRabbits:

Thanks so much for the advice. His feet are now red/pink open sores. Like I said the vet gave me scrubs and ointment. Do you think that he will be fine at the fair next week? Judging is on Thursday. The vet said his feet should callus over by then but I'm not sure. I just put the ointment on his feet so If you need a pic I can take one tomorrow.

Also, I ordered a blue resting mat online a few days ago. http://www.bunnyrabbit.com/equipmentpix/footpad_10x14.jpg For now I blocked off the wood and I have him on the wire with a blanket until the resting mat gets here :)

At the fair, they don't have wire bottoms, they just have to lie in their bedding so I'm a little nervous. Maybe I should bring with the blue resting mat?

That will be a great resting mat. :) That's what I use. They're easier on the feet but very easy to clean too.

I would play it by ear as far as the show goes. His feet should heal quickly with the ointment provided by the vet, but wire can irritate sore feet a little bit more when the fur is rubbed away. At the same time, the solid bottom is not the best idea for a rabbit that likes to use it as a bathroom. So it's a bit of a catch 22 and a waiting game to see how things go. Hopefully he'll hang out on his blanket while his feet heal, but you may need to make adjustments if he's a particularly active guy. I have heard that Preparation H helps heal quickly too, but have not tried it myself.

Do you have an outdoor run or pen he could play in while you're home? Grass would be soft on his feet and probably help the healing process for the time being.

If his feet are still sore when it's time to go to the fair, it would be best to keep him at home. But if you still have a few days to decide, I'd wait and see how he's doing when the time comes.

Do you know if the fair provides risers for wool breeds? They are basically a small, portable wire floor. If not, just keep his cage as clean as possible. Adding extra bedding can help absorb moisture. :)

Hopefully all this was just irritation caused by hanging out in his dirty bedding. If that's the case, he should be doing much better when his fur grows back. :) Sometimes it's just hard to find the balance of helpful treatment and the right flooring to let it happen. Hollands usually have very thick fur on their feet, so once it's back they usually do well on wire and can stay cleaner that way.

Good luck to your little guy and keep us updated! After years of bunnies, I've devised many levels of tricks to get around their less positive quirks, so if these ideas don't work we'll come up with Plan B.

Back