Sore Back Feet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne_Bunny

Reaction score
Hello!

Yesterday I discovered some red bits on Peters back feet. He is an indoor bunny with no rough surfaces and they don't seem to cause him any pain (he let me prod them so I doubt they hurt). They are also not usually visible unless you part the fur.

I found some information on sore hocks, but I would love some other opinions before dragging him to the vet. He had a check up two weeks ago and the vet didn't mention it at all.

Thank you!

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1463216019.805937.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1463216030.468563.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1463216040.630805.jpg

Like usual when you have a problem with your rabbit and you look it up you see 'simple' ways of preventing it - for sore hocks, it's generally associated with overweight rabbits or rabbits kept in a cage or on concrete floors. And you feel the injustice of it all when your perfectly well-kept thin rabbit gets it. I had the same problem with one of mine a few years ago. Apparently, his posture was just pretty bad - it seems to be pretty common amongst dwarf lops. So, the origine of the problem might just be that your rabbit tends to stand on his heels more than on the rest of his feet. there is nothing you can do to rectify that, but you have to treat it as that kind of problem tends to get worse and it can end up badly if the ulceration gets to the bone (like amputation bad).
Some people try to treat it with honey or to bandage it. I tried several things to no avail (including things prescribed by a vet), the only thing that worked was a cortisone based cream prescribed by a vet specialized in rabbits which did miracles and ended the problem in a week after more than a month of sufferings (for me and for the rabbit, as the sore hocks were clearly beginning to hurt him but he hated the treatments even more). The hair never completely grew back but the skin stayed clean after that.
So, I would go to the vet to get an adequate treatment and stop the problem while it's still at an early stage

His cage is half carpet half wooden floor, and he spends a lot of time roaming around the house, which is carpeted. His nails need a clip and he is a little chubby... but he's on a vet recommended diet to sort it out!
Because they aren't causing him pain I'm reluctant to bandage them or smother him in cream, be would lick and chew any of my attempts away!

I guess best to keep an eye on him?

Should the hocks reach a point where they are seriously inflamed, bleeding, sore, or looking like they are close to infection, I highly recommend using MediHoney to treat it using a moist bandage. Not only is it superior to most other products, but it's non-toxic should it be ingested. Provided you have an enclosure with a solid bottom, you could spread a very thin layer in the cage so that it is constantly in contact with the hocks. It would be a little messy, but it works well.

Latest posts

Back