Soon To Be Bunny Owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyrae86

Reaction score
Hello All!

My name is Kelly. I live in CT with my boyfriend. He's been the Dr.Dolittle of the relationship, having a 55 gal fish tank, a bearded dragon, and a kitty. I've been wanting my own fuzzy bundle for a long time, and I knew from the beginning it was going to be a bunny!

Just as a heads up, I'm going to be asking a lot of questions, being a brand new bunny owner :)

I'm SO excited to get going, it's ridiculous!

Ah welcome! You live relevantly close to me (I'm in RI... well kinda close) Haha.

Nice to meet you.

I have had my bunnies almost my whole life and I'm still asking questions. Haha.

Temperments can range from bunny to bunny, even within the species. Generally lionheads tend to be a little higer in energy then larger breed rabbits. Honestly theres not much difference in their temperment them 90% of the other small breed rabbits out there.

Welcome to the forum!

~I have a holland lop and mini rex currently. The holland lops have to be my all time favorite, very cuddley but also energetic bunnies. They're small weighing only about maybe 4 pounds when full grown. Mini rexes are another great breed (VERY soft! And mine have both just been big cuddle bunnies.) They just sit there like a blob wanting to be petting continually. lol

Thanks for the tips! I'm sure I'm going to need quite a few! I'm getting only one bunny. He'll be a indoor bun. And I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for cage size? And also if you guys have opinions on cages that have different levels to them...

Welcome! How exciting you are getting a new bunny soon! Do you plan to rescue or obtain from a breeder? I've done both; just curious.

The larger, the better, for cage size. Do you have room for an exercise pen (commonly referred to as X pen)? That's what I have for my two bunnies. The cool thing is, they're fairly common (can get them at Petco or Petsmart) and they fold to different sizes. I have mine in the kitchen where a table should be... LOL. Leith Petworks (I think that's the name) sells expensive but well crafted double and triple layer indoor cages with ramps; lots of people like them. Google "Leith Petworks" and you should find the cages.

Currently, I have a six month old Holland lop and just adopted a bunny from the shelter who is a NZ white. He is young, but very laid back for his age. This doesn't mean all NZ's are laid back, but in general, the larger breeds tend to be less active when they grow up compared to the smaller breeds. But individual personality is the most important thing, and you might not always see the finished product of their personality in a baby bunny (babies need to be spayed or neutered when they hit puberty, generally between 4-6 months, or you'll have a typical hormonal teen on your hand--not only is attitude a problem, but they can get themselves into bad habits like spraying you with urine--gross, but not uncommon, especially with male bunnies). My bunny suddenly got way better at not chewing on things when she hit adolescence, but she was spayed already prior to this at four months, and I like to think I've trained her well (though they really train us, in actual fact).

I have found that my Holland Lop (female named Olive) is generally more active in a certain sense. That said, my (supposedly) younger NZ has a blast running around the apartment when it's free range time (I littertrained him first; this easiest, again, with spayed or neutered bunnies). Both of them do have fun out of the Xpen, where I keep them at night and when I'm not home. Bunnies need to zoom pretty much on a daily basis.

Welcome to the forums =) I can't wait to see pics of your little bunny. I've got a flemish giant as a breed and I have to say [biasedly] mine is very laid back, well tempered, and very friendly. He's my first bunny so I've been very lucky.

As for cages I've had guinea pigs and now a rabbit in what they call C&C and cube cages. They are made out of organizer cubes you get at Wal-Mart and Target and you build them as big as you want using zip ties. Bunnies need room. The bottom is made out of sign board you can get at any sign shop in a range of colors to match your decor.

Here's a page on them from the guinea pig perspective. I don't use the connectors though as they look better with just the zipties in my opinion. I used some key chain clips I got from walmart to keep mine closed. I got a door in the front of mine that's two cubes wide for the bunny to hop out of and the whole top opens up so I can get in and sweep and spot clean.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Welcome to Rabbits Online, I totally understand how you feel, it's awesome to own bunnies and it's always a "new adventure" to get a brand new bunny.. keep us posted, you know you can start a blog for them, right? You can post pics and stories and comments and other users can comment too, it's pretty nice. Let us know about all the new adventures with the new bunnies!!

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

I live very close to you in northern westchester, NY. I go shopping in Danbury all the time! I am new to the bunny world also. I got my rabbit from someone who didn't want him anymore. I moved back in with my parents and they wanted me to get rid of him, but while I am finding him a good home they are growing to love him! I had no idea how much I could like this cute little bunny :D Good luck with your new rabbit!

Here is a link to photos of my wonderful new rabbit Buster :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andria2369/?saved=1

Do a lot of research on the rabbits breed that appeal to you before you get that one.

Whoever you get your bunny from, ask them lots of Q's... see if they know what they're talking about. Make sure the rabbit is healthy and was taken care of well as a baby.

Adoption is good! Although a baby bun may bit tempting, sometimes the adult rabbits who are already used to people can be easy to take care of as a first timer.

Like everyone else said, if you get a baby bun, they will hit puberty and be a lot of work! (that's the stage I'm at with my two girls: mini lionhead and a mini hotot).

My girls don't really let me pick them up and cuddle. They will let me pet them, when THEY want. But they are super active and cuties!

Oh!! Buster is so adorable!! And thank you Coco, I'll be sure to ask lots of questions! I'm actually going tomorrow to a couple of places to see if I find my own bunny! Thankfully the places I'm considering are family owned so hopefully the buns they sell have been taken care of :) I'll be sure to update everyone with my findings!

GOT HIM!!!! I know I was hoping for a lionhead, but after a day of going from place to place, we found this brand new litter of Holland Lops. I put my hand in their cage to pet them and this little guy came right up and gave both me and my boyfriend nuzzles and kisses! Meet Neville! :) :)

IMG_1035.jpg

oh my goodness. That bunny is *WAYY* *WAYY* *WAYYYY* too adorable (sorry for the caps..its true though..) My old bunny Charlie looked just like that as a baby. I miss her soo much.

Back