Sometimes I feel so bad for Ash...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatsMySimi

Reaction score
Sometimes I feel so bad for Ash... I took him out today, to take pictures (Pictures which are posted/being posted in my blog now), and when I was there, he was staying very close to me, and cuddling, which he has started doing a lot since I started giving him all sorts of yummy treats *very* often. Anywho, I decided to try bringing my *big* teddy bear, Big Al, onto the bed to see what he'd do... And to my surprise, he started grooming him! I felt bad instantly that I didn't have him nutered and bond him with Simi or Sisi, or both before I rehomed them.

*sighs* I just couldn't afford to get him nuetered, and the girls spayed. Now I can't afford to get him neutered or another rabbit spayed/neutered, even though I know a place I could get a Holland Lop for free (I know the breeder, and I have a very good deal I could offer her, that I know she would go for), but I can't afford it... If only I knew someway to make the money to spay/neuter Ash and another rabbit... :( I just can't...

Anywho, that's my rant.

Its such a shame. The thing is, I know money is tight, but is there not a way you can 'save up'. Like maybe have a garage sale or sell some stuff on eBay. That way, it would seem like you weren't spending money you wouldn't otherwise have.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

I could probably save up the money, to have Ash neutered first, then once the other rabbit was ready to come home/born and ready, I could have saved up for that, or I could barrow it from mom, but I feel bad about thinking of getting another rabbit.

I know a few of you know the story with Simi and Sisi, my 2 does, and how I had to get rid of them because I didn't have the time, and life was crazy, but since then (it's summer now) stuff has calmed down, I got my school grades up higher, but it's still a little crazy, but I have no troubles spending time with Ash.

*sigh* I don't know, I just worry he's lonely... Rabbits do better in pairs, do they not?

(On the off chance I could do it/get another rabbit, could I bond an unspayed female with a neutered male? Until I could afford to have the doe spayed, that is.)

I wouldn't worry about it, atleast not for this time. My girl Pebbles,who doesn't do well with other rabbits grooms stuffies, but will nip and bully other rabbits. Doesn't really mean they're lonely, maybe justtesting out the stuffy.

I would neuter Ash first, and then go from there. Especially since he is a single rabbit and has all your time, I wouldn't feel too bad.

For the majority of cases,you can't get around leavinga doe intact if you bond her to a neutered male. She will most likely act quite territorial with him, and since she doesn't know he's neutered, if he tries to mount her for dominance, it could throw her into a false pregnancy where she would get very aggressive towards him. Just not something I'd personally try.

For myself personally, if money was a bit tight and you were already stuck between a rock and a hard place with being busy and overwhelmed with school (which will start back up again for another year in September) I would save up a large lump of money and neuter Ash, then go from there in the far future to see about a friend for him. Are there any rescues you could try bunny dates with?

Good advice, Spring... I should and would wait until school starts again, to see how crazy Grade 10 will be.

There aren't many/any rabbit rescues around here that I know of...

Ash had been around Simi when she was in her cage, and was very interested in her, never tried to nip her through the wire, or anything... Something just tells me he'd be a good fella to bond, while with the 2 does, I knew the wouldn't be as easy...

I'll wait, not like I'm ready right now... I just thought it'd be better to have a new rabbit (if I was to get one) now in the summer while I had time to do lots of bonding, ya know?

Although there would be no danger of an unwanted pregnancy,a neutered male may sense the hormones of the unspayed female and and be sexually aggressive towards her. I noted this when I attempted to introduce Harley (neutered) and Snowball (at the time, unspayed). Now that Snowball is spayed, I may try it again in a few weeks.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you can get all of the spay/neuters done.

Indeed... I suppose I'll just start putting money away, selling things I don't need, etc. And have Ash neutered (He'll probably start spraying now soon, anyway)... I can't decide if I'd want Ash bonded, right now, he's really lovey with me, I'm his #1, know whatI mean? I don't know if I'd want his bonded mate taking my place, lol. Silly, eh?

Now, if only there was something I could make and sell to you ROers to make money.

I'd just check out the idea of a second rabbit a few months into the school year, and then see. Gives you some time to get Ash neutered in the meantime, since even if you were to attempt a neutered male/intact female, you'd have to wait at least 2 months to make sure everything is out of his system so he wouldn't get the doe pregnant. So you have lots of time to think about it, but I'd get Ash neutered either way.

If in a couple months after school starts you are feeling ok with school, have money saved up, have room and feel you have time for a second rabbit, then might look into your options, but I think you are making the right choice by waiting. Even with two fixed rabbits, bonding isn't a for sure thing and you could still end up with 2 separate cages to clean, 2 separate rabbits to pay attention to etc.

Even with two fixed rabbits, bonding isn't a for sure thing and you could still end up with 2 separate cages to clean, 2 separate rabbits to pay attention to etc.
Oh, I know all about that, that's what happened with Simi and Sisi, I planned on bonding them, and if school hadn't been so busying then, I could have bonded them, but they didn't as quick as I needed them too, and I got in over my head. I'm not going to do that again - ever.

I'll just start saving. :)

Hmmm... I wonder... Maybe I could make rabbit treats, and put them in little bunny themed bags or boxes, and sell them here on RO? Just an idea, I'd like to find a way to get the cash to get Ash neutered.

You could always adopt a spayed/neutered rabbit from a rescue shelter after you have Ash neutered. That way, you'd get another bunny, but not have to pay more for the spay/neuterd surgery. Most bunnies are only $25-$50. The pair of bunnies I'm interested in adopting is just $25 for their adoption fee.

Emily

Latest posts

Back