Something's wrong with Rory- Possible EC?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
As some of you may know, we lost our darling Skyler in May 2010 to E. Cuniculi. I realized there was a problem the December before when he started having neurological issues and I saw a white thing in one of his eyes. Ever since I've been vigilant for signs of it in my other rabbits.

Quick backstory: Rory is a healthy almost 5 year old mini lop. His eating, drinking, pooping and peeing habits are all normal and his weight is average.

A few minutes ago I was standing in front of Rory's cage when he did something odd. He was standing up on his back legs (with his paws on the side of the cage) when his head started drifting backwards. He did this twice, which is very odd. I picked him up and put him on the couch and he just sat there. Usually he explores. I shook the canister of treats around him and he did nothing. Just sat. Very odd. Did the same thing with his food and he had no reaction again. I gave him a couple pellets and then shook the food and suddenly he was back to himself- roving around, trying to get into the bucket of pellets.

Then I picked him up to look in his eyes and I could see the glint of a spot at the back of his eye. It looks bluish. Surprisingly, I could see it in the other eye, too- a very thin line about 3 mm long that looks like it's deep within his eye. I have never, ever noticed this on him before. You can only see it if the lighting is bright, it looks like the light is reflecting off of something inside.

I'm staying calm here, but as you can imagine I'm beside myself inside at the thought of my darling Rory going down the same road that Skyler did with this brain parasite, and wondering what it means for our other bunnies. I'm hoping I'm wrong and he's fine.

For those familiar with EC, what do you think? :(

*Update* I looked at Kerensa's and Mabel's eyes (they're brown like Rory's) in bright lighting and they have the same reflections to some extent, though Rory's seems more pronounced. I'm hoping this is just a normal bunny thing and I just hadn't noticed it before!!

The plan now is to keep a close eye on Rory's behavior and see how he acts in the next few hours or days before we take him to the vet because he may have just been freaking me out for no reason.

Shiloh, never heard of this, so will do the next best thing and pray for Rory. Is it possible that he has a build up of wax in his ears or an ear infection. That would present basically the same way.

Alma, I thought of that too- he doesn't seem to be having balance issues, thankfully. The thing that really worried me was the eye issue but it appears to be normal since I could see it in my other bunnies, so I'm MUCH less worried now. Rory is snuggled with me on the couch right now, in a minute I'm going to make him get down on the floor and hop around so I can see how he does.

I'm thinking Rory was playing a trick on me this morning because he seems fine. Kind of embarrassing! But I would pick embarrassment over him actually having EC any day of the week!

Georgie has e.c. and we were just at the vet on Thursday because he developed a spot in his other eye. He developed a cloudy spot and went blind in his left eye overnight, back in November. So when I noticed a spot in the other eye, I freaked and rushed him to the vet.

Turns out that it is a very early sign of cataracts. ***whew*** but I'm still glad I got it checked out. The vet told me that if it was another ec thing, the eye would have gotten cloudy much more quickly, usually within a few days time.

You're a good bunny owner/slave for getting advice!!

Latest posts

Back