Something to laugh at and awh over!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tort

Reaction score
OK I since we got Sammy he hasn't been what you would call a "snuggle bunny." He is settling in well and getting along with Zamboni after the initial chasing and mounting to see who was boss. He will come up to Dana and I and chin our feet from time to time but other than that he really doesn't want much to do with us. When he is in his cage if you go near it he will run into his nest box and just peek out at you.

Anyway this morning I was talking gently to him and he didn't run into his box so I got closer to his cage. I actually stuck my nose against the cage and he gave me a kiss!!! I was so excited I stuck my nose on the cage again and the little stinker nipped me and ran into his box!!!LOL At least Zamboni kissed it and tried to make it better. I couldn't stop laughing thinking what if he drew blood? How could I explain that to people? LOL

Now the the awhing part. May I introduce Zamboni and Sammy's new brothers; Cody and Ajax. Our newest family members. Ajax (white) is special needs due to the fact that he is deaf. Not that that matters; ferrets only listen to the little voices in there head anyway; "do anything and get into everything!" Pretty much the same voice that is in Zamboni's and Sammy's head.LOL

039.jpg

cuuuuuute. :) I love ferrets, I had 2.... They get into everything and anything, you're right about the voices inside their heads, they only listen to themselves.....

Those guys are adorable! Love their names, too....

Haha...yep it sounds like Sammy is settling in quite well ;)

And just look at those two beauties....they are just adorable!

Cheryl

They are sooo cute! I wanted a Ferret before, but I don't think they are the right pet for me. Plus, there are no breeders in AZ.....I would have to go pick up a Ferret in another state (as to not get a Marshall Ferret because of the health issues).

Did you get a Ferret Nation cage?! My FN 141 will be here on Tuesday...for my rats.

:biggrin2:

They are so cute! I never really noticed how adorable their ears are! I am supposed to be babysitting two ferrets starting today I can't wait!!

I hope the introduction goes well. I think I read somewhere that rabbits have a natural fear of the scent of ferrets, which I think is a little bit rediculous. I hope you further disprove that fact. I love ferrets and have always wanted some, but would def. choose bunnies over them. My co-worker is in the process of trying to rehome her ferret (it hates her husband. He named her the devil). so maybe I'd be able to keep it for a while for her until she can find it a new home if it goes well for you.

Undergunfire, I have the FN142 and just love it. Plenty of room for 5 fuzzies. Dana and I are thinking of getting the add on and taking the bottom rack off and placing it on a board with coaster wheels so we can still move it around. Best cage ever for a ferret or rat and probably a chinchilla.

As for the health issues they are pretty much the same for any ferret in world be it a Marshall's, Triple F, or from a private breeder. Adrenal is more common in North America than in their European cousins but I believe that this may be due to food and possible breeding.

Nelson_is_mine, rabbits having a natural fear of ferrets I don't really think is true; for a wild one that is probably true but I don't think that is true for a house bun; at least in our case. Zamboni and Nicky (our first fert) are actually bonded. Zamboni chases all of them and plays tag with them and also will play the protector when one is being ganged up on.lol

Sammy also doesn't mind the ferts and has been known to chase them from time to time. All of our animals have their out of cage time together and we haven't had a problem at all. We do have the occasional squabble and what can we all get into at the same time type of thing.

I think the worst besides glasses being knocked off the table or something getting chewed up that shouldn't have was the time Zamboni jumped over the linoleum and got into the cats' litter box and shoveled it all out (around 10 pounds of litter) and ran and hid while Dana yelled at me saying that I over filled the litter box and one of the cats kicked out the litter onto the floor. The only other was when Nicky and Zamboni got into the hall closet and Nicky climbed up the coatsto the top shelf and started to clean it off by pushing everything off the shelf and Zamboni got into the back corner and pulled the carpet up on strand at a time.LOL

You have to love them for their ingenuity and teamwork skills.

The ferrets don't bother the rabbits much? That's cool... I was actually researching ferrets awhile ago but stopped when someone told me that ferrets and bunnies don't mix - I was told that the ferrets would most likely try to kill the rabbits if they could get to them, although they'd have a rough time getting past Zeus the attack bunny! I was actually planning on keeping them in seperate rooms but decided against ferrets just to be on the safe side. I think their adorable though and I seem to have a thing for animals that are good at finding their way to trouble :biggrin2:

Maybe I have just lucked out with my ferrets and rabbits; it's hard to say. Some have told me that since we got Nicky and Koko at only 6 weeks old that they see Zamboni as a seragate, but that doesn't doesn't explain Kaji, Cody, or Ajax's behavior since they came into the house as rescues and were older. Also they treat Sammy more gently than they do Zamboni since Sammy is still timid of everything.

With Zamboni, Nicky and Kaji will nip his ears and run off; he will chase them down and nip their tails or butt and then run off. Zamboni being the top dog will take and give alot until he decides he has had enough play time with them and go off on his own (usually in front of the T.V.); there has been a few times that they just don't get it like a little kid and Zamboni will use "tough love" on them. That is he will lay down on one of them until they give up.lol

Koko is my little kisser of the group and she loves to kiss ears; doesn't matter who's. There have been times Zambonie looks like he let his ears fall in to the water bowl from Kokos kisses. Not to meant that she does a great job of cleaning them too.LOL

Sammy hasn't quite gotten the tag game down. He does fine chasing them but when it's their turn to chase him he runs off to quick for them to catch him and they end up loosing him.

I guess all in all most any animal can live with others; better than most people can. When we first introduce them we keep a eye on how everyone interacts and adjust to the needs of each one. I must admit that if someone told me that a ferret and rabbit would bond I would think they where on drugs.lol

As for our cats; they mainly stay away from every one. For some reason the buns and ferts love to all attack them (in play) at once. Another teamwork lesson.lol

Latest posts

Back