Something on the eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
It doesn't seem to bother the rabbit, she is active, eats and poops as normal. Looks like small furuncle on the eye lid. Eyes look normal.
What could it be?

eye.jpg

It almost looks like one of those bumps that dogs can get on their eyes. They are usually nothing to worry about unless it starts irritating the eye but dogs usually have them more to where they are touching the eye. Our cocker mix has one.

Another thing it could be is a bite but it doesnt look too inflamed or anything. Watch it is what i would suggest. Just make sure it doesnt grow or change in size

It does look like a stye. I get them on my own eyelids. Treatment is a warm compress for about 10 minutes but I'm not sure how well a rabbit will tolerate that.

Agreed-any abnormal shape, coloring and growing should then be checked into. Maybe they could do an FNA to check out what it is. But for now, maybe i'd just watch it.

My Tony gets styes sometimes, but they're usually on the edge of the eyelid or inside the eyelid. I would try the warm compress treatment. Frida (who gets clogged tear ducts) and Tony tolerate it surprisingly well. If it doesn't go away after a few days of treatment, I'd have the vet check it to make sure it's a benign growth. Bunnies can get warts (papillomas) that look a bit like that, but they can also get sarcomas (cancerous). The dog thing I think is a fibroma?

Agree with the above, or, if you can send a pic to your vet and see what they say.
I don't even have a vet I can trust. Last time I took my doe to that vet when she was avoiding to step on her hind leg. Vet brought in some books and tried to find something in the books (I can do it myself). I asked if my doe could be pregnant. SHe said she couldn't feel any pregnancy.
Later on, it turned out that the doe had babies a day before we noticed the problem with her hind leg -- so it was delivery related. How could the vet overlook that the doe was nursing?
We also neutered the buck in that clinic and it was OK.
Since that, I don't want to go there again. Need to find somebody different.

My Tony gets styes sometimes, but they're usually on the edge of the eyelid or inside the eyelid. I would try the warm compress treatment. Frida (who gets clogged tear ducts) and Tony tolerate it surprisingly well. If it doesn't go away after a few days of treatment, I'd have the vet check it to make sure it's a benign growth. Bunnies can get warts (papillomas) that look a bit like that, but they can also get sarcomas (cancerous). The dog thing I think is a fibroma?
for how long to you apply warm compress?
I don't want to open that spot and spread the germs around, this is my concern.

Fine needle aspirate
The vet takes a sample from the bump with a needle and syringe. They then can look at what's inside there, be it pus (abscess), clear fluid (cyst), no liquid (solid mass), etc.

Latest posts

Back