Something is wrong with Pip :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neri18

Reaction score
I know I haven't been on in awhile, but I had to take Pip in to the vet this morning. He spent all night on my bed, which is only slightly odd, but when I pulled him up to me to snuggle him his ears were a bit cool considering he'd been snuggled on my bed, and he'd peed on the bed, which is something he never does. I put him on the floor and instead of running circles and begging for his morning piece of apple he just sort of sat there all hunched up like he was uncomfortable. I called the vet and took him in at 11:30. The vet felt around and looked him all over and asked me questions, and since he was still pooping he wasn't too worried, but he said they seemed a bit dry and so he gave him 1cc of something called Lax'aire (it's a laxative and lubricant for cats and dogs) and told me to give him 1cc each day for 5 days and he also gave him some fluids to help. He said he should get better and to call him tomorrow to check in and let him know if he gets any worse. Pip has been under the bed all day except for when I was cleaning his litter box and he came out briefly to see what was up. I heard him chewing on his cardboard box a bit and he's pooped some, but he hasn't eaten anything or drank that I've seen. Has anyone else's bunnies had something like this? The vet said he might just be a bit backed up/constipated and probably not feeling well. He seemed to know what he was talking about. He said if Pip doesn't seem to be feeling better to call him and they'll have to do an ultrasound. Does anyone have any home remedies I could try that might help a bit? He doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain, just not his normal self and I'm a bit worried.

First thing that comes to mind is to try syringing him some water. I know others that have better and more extensive advice will come along...but for now, try the syringing of water, and maybe even some pumpkin (you can buy a can of 100% un-sweetened pumpkin at a grocery store for cheap). The pumpkin has lots of water and GOOD fiber to help get Pip's guts moving...and the water itself will do the same.

It sounds like he's either got gas, or is in the first stages of stasis...and I believe the above will help with either instance.

Hugs to you both...it's hard when your babies are sick...:hug:

Keep us updated, ok?

Rosie*

Hi there!

It might be worth well just to look over this excellent article about GI stasis.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28622&forum_id=10

There's mixed feelings about laxatives, since it has to be given to awellhydrated bunny, or else it can worsen the situation. Hydration is the best thing, since it will help hydrate the intestines and keep moving things along. It's good that he's still pooping!

Does he eat vegetables? Try soaking his vegetables in water and seeing if he'll take them. I've found it's good to dangle parsley or carrot tops etc. in front of them or even stick the stem in the corner of their mouth to help encourage them to eat.

It wouldn't hurt to give him a few doses of baby gas medicine that contains simethecone (I use the brand oval).

Make sure he stays hydrated. You could syringe feed a bit of pedialyte. If he's used to a water bottle, give him a bowl to encourage drinking. Try different temperatures of water too, sometimes they'll prefer warm water.'

I thought it might be gas, but his stomach isn't making noises and it's not hard or anything. The vet did give him fluids so I'm not too worried about him getting dehydrated yet, but I'll probably run out tomorrow and look for the pumpkin and hopefully it will help. He just seems a bit uncomfortable, and if I was a bit blocked up I know I would be too.

Can you get him to another vet? It's not stasis if he's still pooping, the laxative isn't a great idea.

It could be gas, although you'd probably hear gut sounds (the belly won't usuallyappear bloated with a normal gas attack), and he'll noticably feel better with a long, light tummy massage (and/or a little exercise).

However, if he peed on the bed, it's may well be a urinary tract problem. Did the vet test his urine? Is it looking normal to you? Some bunnies will pee like that just from pain, but that would be a red flag to me to check for a UTI -- urinary tract infection -- or maybe even a stone.

The SubQ fluids should make him feel better, but it will only be temporary if that's the case.

Hopefully it's just gas andhe's okay, though.

sas :clover:

PS: the dry poops are very likely due to dehydration, not stasis, and the laxative won't help that (thus I'm seriously questioning the vet's knowledge of rabbits). As Spring noted, your best bet is Pedialyte along with wet veggies and canned pumpkin -- a source of wet fibre.(And if it is gas,babygas meds with Simethiconeshould begiven, but gas is usually only a one-day event).

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm still a bit worried about him because he's still huddled under the bed. He did stretch out a bit earlier and I smelled something so it might have been some gas, or he'd pooped behind the drawer where I can't see unless I wiggle under there. I put a bit of vanilla in his water bottle and I also put out a small bowl of water. He did eat two small carrots and he perked up when I offered him a piece of banana (his favorite treat), so that made me feel better that he's at least got some appetite. I massaged his stomach a bit and it seemed to relax him a bit. What are some symptoms of a UTI? My bedding is dark so it was hard to tell what the pee looked like, but nothing has seemed out of the ordinary. If he had a UTI would he be feverish at all? He doesn't feel like he has a fever or anything. I'm sure I'm stressing out more than I need to, but I'm sure you guys understand. If he doesn't seem to be any better I'll try another vet, I just went to the first one I could get a hold of this morning. I have to call the vet tomorrow to give him an update and I'll go out and get the pumpkin and see if it helps. Otherwise I'll try to find another vet on Monday. I'll keep you updated and thank you for all the suggestions so far! I really appreciate it!

Pip seems to be back to his normal self. He finally came out from under the bed at around 6:30 this morning and he seemed to get better from then on. He's eating and drinking fine and lounging in all his usual spots. He jumped on the bed at around 10:30 like always on the weekends to lick my face to get me up, and as soon as I was up he was jumping in circles and begging for his apple. I feel SO relieved! I called the vet to update him and he said to keep him on 1cc of the laxative/lubricant for 5 days and since this is the first time it's ever happened he's not worried that it's anything serious, but he wants to make sure any of the really dry material gets out so there's no blockage. I'm just glad Pip is back to his normal self. I'll probably go get him some pumpkin though, just to help things along.

:happyrabbit:

One last quick question though. He really hates the laxative stuff and he doesn't seem to like the pumpkin either. Do you think as long as he drinks enough he'll be okay? I just hate to force the laxatives in him for 5 days if I can avoid it. He seems to be back to normal today.

Sounds great! :D

Yeah, I wouldn't give him the laxatives. If he's eating hay and drinking lots of water, he'll get it out without laxatives.

Sounds like he's doing really well!

Latest posts

Back