Something happened under the rat cage...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaiya

Allison
Reaction score
So I'm taking care of my friend's animals this week, including two rabbits - 1 male, 1 female, siblings. The mom of the family does NOT want baby bunnies!

So this morning I went over there to take care of them, and I saw that the wood framed divider in their cage had been slid out the side a ways, and the rabbits were together.

BEWARE OF BABY RABBITS!!!!!!!!

She should have got them fixed if she didn't want baby bunnies. . .

The reason people have opposite sex intact rabbits but don't want babies is seriously beyond me. No wonder rescues are full to the max.

Spaying the female now will eliminate the possibility of ending up with a litter. Not to mention that rabbits have been known to breed through cage wire anyway.

Did you separate them again? Do you have a spare cage to put one of them in, so they can't get to each other again?
Not just the possible litter of kits she could have, but what if they got into a fight without someone there? That would be terrible.

The reason they have kept them intact is because they are being used for showing in 4-H. I'll tell them that they can spay the female, but a neutered male is a disqualification at the fair.

The divider is easily moved, so I'll find a spare cage and put one in it.

We didn't think it could, or that the rabbits would push it out if it could be moved! Maybe until they get back I could zip tie it into place...

I zip tied the divider into place. It cannot be moved unless the rabbits chew the zip ties.

I'm sure they will spay the female, but if they don't, they have had litters before and know how to deal with them.

Back