something growing on Flashies eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my vet only worked half a day today but i shot him an email with the pic of Flashies eye,i asked him if this could wait until i schedule in an appt this next week for him...my vet is pretty kewl so well see what he has to say..i dont norm do this but i thought the pics came out so good that maybe he could tell from the get go what it could be...so ive been reading up on it and what is bad to put in their eyes that can cause it to rupture? im confused..it said something about an eye test that could rupture if the vet is clueless..which mine isnt but shoot i wanna be prepared ya know..

Good luck at the vets!

My parents had a dog with glaucoma - if it's glaucoma, then yes it could be painful and does cause blindness - it's good you're getting to a vet. It doesn't really look like what their dogs eye looked like when she had her glaucoma, but you never know. My parents didn't catch the dogs glaucoma early and it got pretty bad before they noticed it.

I had an older mini-lop who developed glaucoma really suddenly. She lost vision in both eyes but since she already knew my apartment (she was free roam) she actually did well despite losing her sight.
I hope thatthis issomething that can be treated with your bun.

I had a holland lop who developed mild cataracts at a young age but they did not progress to an extent where I had to have them treated. He did OK .

I really cannot tellwhat it is but I can confirm that my vet had also mentionned a possible rupture with steroids when Ariella had her ulcer. Ariella's ulcer was easy to treat though it did leave a bit of a scar.

I really don't know what Flashie has but good luck at the vets! I'll be thinking of you guys. :)

Oh Lisa,sorry for being so late. I hope it's nothing serious. You're going to see the vet today,right ? Keep us post, would you ? I've never seen such eye before, sorry that I can't help. I'll be thinking of you guys whole day.

Kisses ! :big kiss:

ok so were back from the vet ....we were sent home with Neo -poly-dex eye ointment ...he did the dye thing and its not an ulcer .. we are goin back tomorrow to his other location cuz he didnt have the eye pressure machine at this location....he said the blueish tint is cuz theres swelling behind the cornea ,he said its not in the pupil or the iris ..hes a little stumped at what it could be but he needs to do the pressure test to see about glaucoma...he also said that the other eye looks like it might be starting to do the same thing...dammmmm...i did read something online about a line of Thriantas with cloudy eyes in the Nw...maybe maybe?..dammmm again...Flashie did not handle this visit very well..i know most bunnies dont but he was goin into meltdown on me....and we have to do it again tomorrow ..my poor boog...he doesnt understand all the poking and prodding ...breaks my heart to see him so scared....but he is healthy otherwise so i gotta keep a positive attitude about this...i mean it could be worse..the couple in the room next to us was putting down their 12 year old dog and they were sobbing so loud that Matt and I started tearing up...

what do u guys think?..i guess i gotta wait for the pressure test and go from there huh.

(im gonna copy and paste this in my blog too.cuz i am wayy too tired to do this again..takin a bun to the vet is exhausting)

Aww man... What happens if it's glaucoma? Can it be treated properly? I can imagine pressur behind the eyes to be unpleasant. Hugs to both of you! I so wish it would be something simple. Give Flashy plenty of noserubs for me. Poor little guy... :(I hope today's visit brings you more answers... :rose:

ok 2nd vet visit leaves me still with no diagnosis...but we did the pressure test for Glaucoma and its all good..the pressure was 17...and i heard that between 17-25 was acceptible..so he asked me is Flashies ever been off balance...eeek! scared the poop outta me cuz i knew he was wondering about E.cuniculi ..but hes never showed any signs of that to date...were gonna keep using the eye gel that he prescribed and were gonna talk to him at the end of the week unless it gets worse....im worried.

Awww geez I was so hoping you would have answers. That is good about the glaucoma though. Hopefully, it's nothing E.C. related. I'm relieved to hear that he hasn't shown any signs so far. Maybe the gel will have some effect? That'd be nice... So you back back at the end of the week? I'll watch this thread then. :)

ok went to the opthalmologist today and he said that Flashie has a cornea edema and its from a blunt trauma to his eye...and the color we see is fluid under the cornea .
he said when the cornea gets injured it cant do what its suppose to do which is absorb and release fluid properly well when its injured then the fluid builds up behind the cornea and thats what were seeing.so the hypertonicity ointment(Muro 128) helps ur body to absorb this extra fluid.
so what weve been using Muro 128 is exactly what he needs ..yay!...but it could take up to 3 weeks to heal...and the good news is its absolutely NOT EC related..YAY!!...
thank you guys for all ur input and advice while i was freakin out !!its nice to have people around that know bunnies that i can bounce stuff off of ..:)

Finally you know what the problem is and that it WILL heal! YAY!! I'm so glad it wasn't much much worse! I was scared for you both so.. YAY!!:clapping:

Flash Gordon wrote:
ok went to the opthalmologist today and he said that Flashie has a cornea edema and its from a blunt trauma to his eye...and the color we see is fluid under the cornea .
he said when the cornea gets injured it cant do what its suppose to do which is absorb and release fluid properly well when its injured then the fluid builds up behind the cornea and thats what were seeing.so the hypertonicity ointment(Muro 128) helps ur body to absorb this extra fluid.
so what weve been using Muro 128 is exactly what he needs ..yay!...but it could take up to 3 weeks to heal...and the good news is its absolutely NOT EC related..YAY!!...
thank you guys for all ur input and advice while i was freakin out !!its nice to have people around that know bunnies that i can bounce stuff off of ..:)
This is helping us all learn about eye problems ; I am really glad that it can be resolved :)
What do you think caused the trauma to his eye any ideas??

That is good to hear. Thanks so much for sharing this with us for our future reference. I too wonder what happened to cause the damage. Did he maybe run into a wall or fall?

u know guys ive been racking my brain trying to figure out how the heck he did this kinda trauma to his eye....he is a maniac tho..he does the most explosive clumsy binkies that ive ever seen..and when he hears the oats container he pretty much falls off his shelf just to get to them.(thats why i removed his 3rd shelf )..but ive also started to jam hay in thru the NIC cube holes all over his cage to make things different for him and fun..,sometimes it looks like some hay is really poking straight out of the holes..maybe he ran into one of em ..shoot i dont know....but im guessing the scream that i heard a couple weeks ago mustve been him..i posted a thread on it here somewhere...i didnt know which bunny did it cuz i barreled into the room and freaked them all out...maybe he hurt himself then....as u can tell ive thought of every thing that cuda happened...i just dont know for sure..i could go on and on about what it mightve been...like it could have been one of the zipties that i use to put their NIC cages together...those things stick out pretty far sometimes and ive actually thought about them causing an injury..geez i just wanna pad his whole cage now..ya know.hehe...
hes also one of the few that i let free roam my bedroom ..which is one of the rooms that i have extremely rabbit proofed...i thought i did anyways...

next time u see pics of Flashie hes gonna have on kneepads,elbowpads,a helmet and protective eyewear...hehe.

LOL @ the visual of him in protective gear :p

I'm sorry it's so rough. Sometimes, there really is nothing you can do. It's like kids... They get hurt no matter how hard you try. :rose:

Latest posts

Back