something growing on Flashies eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Gordon

Reaction score
ok trying not to freak out here ..i noticed something on flashies eye yesterday but thought it was the way the light was hitting it....well tonight its obviously something on his eye and it doesnt look good....ive looked up all the eye diseases that rabbits can get..and it doesnt look like a cataract to me ..but maybe a ulcer...gulp...have any of you guys seen anything like this before?....and is this an emergency kind of thing..?..i have no prob taking him to the vet but i really dont wanna pay for a emergency visit if i dont have to......quick run thru on him ..hes pooping and eating fine..but he has been grumpy the last couple of days ..and he also seems to be scratching his ear on that side a little more than normal......
flashowie005.jpg

flashowie004.jpg

Those are good pics, thanks for them. It seems like a discoloration of the iris, right? I would guess the beginning of cataracts or glaucoma. I wouldn't expect an ulcer to be all the way around the iris. It's not an urgent situation, but should be seen within the next few weeks if possible.

oh man that doesnt sound good...cataracts will make that eye blind right?..what about glaucoma?....
i took about 40 pics of his eye just so i could get a really clean shot of it...i thought cataracts would make the center of his eye shiny looking....my grandma had a cataract and it was trippy looking at times...

cateracts are in the pupil, so its doubtful it would be cateracts (unless bunny cateracts are completely different to humans)

perhaps an infection or tissue necrosis?

I think glaucoma is more likely, since it is at the edge of the iris.

..oh my gosh researching this online is .........FREAKIN ME OUT!...
ur thinkin glaucoma maybe?...is that painful?.i have pain meds if need..
what about E. cuniculi?? found some info leading to that too...
its weird its like a hue of purplish white ...those pics i posted are EXACTLY what it looks like in person ...so ur seeing what im seeing...
ok now i gotta go research glaucoma pics.....oh man these kinda bunny pics are the hardest to look at...

Claire? is this a bad thing?..

maxysmummy thanks he is stinkin cute aint he?:) luvs that silly bunny..glaucoma and all...
hey u got ur own probs goin on with her babies,,what u doin over here:) hows ur neuters doin?? u starting to relax a little bit..now its my turn to FREAK...!!

I would say it looks just like UVeitis that my horse gets, it'll flair up at random times adn I treat it with Terramycin (opthamalic antibiotic) twice a day and it usually goes away in a few days. I've had a few kits do this and I also treated them the same way and their eyes cleared right up.

Relax Lisa! this is almost making me giggle. Must relax. I know in horses it's called Uveitis. my horse handles the mild pain well I do have pain meds for her but she never takes them(gotta love horse pills for horses!) and I jsut cool compress her eye, eye wash(Clear Eyes solution), pat it dry and put a little terramycin in it. The bun eyes, I always cleaned with an eye solution(again I used clear eyes solution), pat dry and put a dab in their eyes.

*edit*

I know the horse was checked for Glaucoma and it came out negative according to her records(she was a rescue that finally swapped hands enough to end with me) so when I did that with her eye and it worked, the buns eye looked the same and after talking to a vet he suggested I try the same thing, I did and it worked.

Flash Gordon wrote:
Claire? is this a bad thing?..

maxysmummy thanks he is stinkin cute aint he?:) luvs that silly bunny..glaucoma and all...
hey u got ur own probs goin on with her babies,,what u doin over here:) hows ur neuters doin?? u starting to relax a little bit..now its my turn to FREAK...!!
hehe my boys are doing great at the moment so i'm happily perusing other peoples threads :)

maybe call your vet, jsut ask him about it? how old is he? could just be an age related thing?

i think i already have that terramyacin .. my vet gave it to flashie for his nose believe it or not...
im still prob gonna take him to the vet but shoot after i talk to my vet if i can treat him with something i already have then maybe i wont empty my christmas funds account..:)
ill keep u all posted.:)

He is really adorable. I've always wanted a Thrianta.

I don't think it's pseudopterygium, that's an actual membrane growth that goes over the eye, and the pic looks more like it's a color within the eye itself. It could be uveitis, but I am not finding a lot of descriptions of that in rabbits. The antibiotic ointment won't hurt, so it's a good idea to try it until you can get a vet to take a good look at it.

I have absolutely no advice but :hugsquish:I sure hope it's nothing too bad. He's such an absolute gorgeous bun :)

i actually dont have the terramycin (but ill get it if i need to)..i have Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution..its not an ointment its drops...do u think that might be equivelant? it says its for topical therapy of external infections...but i read about Uveitis and it says that antibiotics norm dont work well against it cuz what causes Uveitis isnt bacteria..but shoot ill try it if it safe ...

no its not a growth ..it does seem like its raised more then the rest of the eye but just barely..and its a smooth transition ..not like the pic that looks like a skin over the eye...

The tobramycin should be ok to try. I would only try it for a few days before going to have the vet check it out--like 3. If that doesn't make it improve, you should have the vet take a look at it.

Latest posts

Back