Some pre birth questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
Just a couple of questions really, my doe is due in 13 days and currently she lives with her 3 daughters from her first litter, and they live in a different hutch to the one i want her to give birth in, so when shall i move her over? The hutch i want her in is the one she gave birth in first time so she knows it, but i don't want her daughters with her in the birthing hutch. If the girls see their mum for a few weeks during the last week of pregnancy and a couple after birth, do you think they will still live together happily after the new ones are weaned?

And about spinach, TinysMom told me last pregnancy to give her spinach or tums from day 28 to help with the calcium build up, well i have heard you shouldn't feed too much spinach to rabbits, but can i give her some now just to be prepared, and then give her the tums from day 28? Last pregnancy it was too late for me to give her any help so i don't know what's best.

I would move her into the birthing hutch now so she doesn't get stressed out about a move too close to delivery.

As for getting along with the daughters after weaning, I don't know. 8 weeks is a long time for buns, and I know some buns will have problems after a day or two. So I would follow bonding procedures and re-introduce her slowly as there will most likely be fighting and dominance issues.

--Dawn

I'd move her now. I wouldn't give her spinach or tums till day 28...and then only a little bit - she doesn't need much (like don't offer her half the bundle of tums and she doesn't need a whole bag of spinach..just a few leaves).

As far as the does all getting along later...it just depends. Some does get along well - others don't. She now still sees them as her kids or her babies - but in the future - she will see the new litter as her babies..

Good luck!

Peg

I moved my doe into our 'maturnity ward' 2 weeks before she was due.

It took afew days for her to settle down in her new surroundings and then she had pleanty of time to relax and wait for the babies to be born without worrying about where she was.

I figured this must be better for her and all has gone well with the babies so far so she must be happy!!!

Kelly

Thanks for the answers, i will move her today,she has 12 days to go now, so i don't want to leave it any longer, but like i said she knows the hutch anyway so it shouldn't be so bad, it is taking her away from her babies that is the worst bit.

I alsowanted to add a photo of her hips i think she has put on weight but i don't want to get my hopes up as i am allowed to keep all the babies again if she has them :bunnydance:.

Do you guys think it looks like a baby bump?

pets440.jpg

Edited to add this pic too

pets434.jpg

I would say that she looks pregnant in those pictures and if she's due in less than 2 weeks - that is probably about right...

Peg

Latest posts

Back