Some pics of our other farm critters.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found chicken pics!! These are the ones that I couldnt put in the freezer!! LOL. Some have names now too. :biggrin2:

This is Sweeteness.....never for food!!!
She is Favorolle and Golden Laced Cochin cross.
She is the favorite out of all the chickens.
She is calm and sweet and just wonderful.
She is hanging her head down because sweetness always submits and never fights when she is picked up. Hence the name! :)
CopyofDSCN7450.jpg

Here is Big Dude, my second favorite roo.
He is Faverolle and Orloff cross.
Oh and my daughter, Cricket! :) Thats really her name. :)
She is the chicken catcher. Heck she is the only one that can catch them during the daytime! She is fast. :)
CopyofDSCN7446.jpg

Here are more of the keepers!
CopyofDSCN7437.jpg

CopyofDSCN7440.jpg

My kids are 9 and 11 that are at home. Boy and Girl.

My other kids are 29, 31 and 32. They dont live at home!! LOL
Only one lives local. My eldest son. My daughters both live in other areas and one out of state. :(
I'm hitting 50. :)

SweetSassy wrote:
Lots of beautiful colors! :)
Thank you.
We used to raise meat goats, Boers, and now goats for fiber.
It got to hard to utilize the goats. They were delicious, but we buy cow from our farmer friend really cheap, already prepared ;) so no more meat goats. :)
I can see they day when the chickens are for pretty feathers and eggs only!! LOL
I know we are terrible farmers. LOL
But fiber farming works for me. :pinkbouce:

We have no prob eating the yummy stuff from the gardens!!! :)

OMG! I LOVE your animals! I own two goats myself. One doe and one neutered buck (wether). When I breed my doe next year (she's too young right now) I'll be disbudding the babies. I hate it so much! I'm am with you on your views about it all. However, they'll be sold to kids as pets and showing. If the goat decided to butt the child for whatever reason, those horns could actually cause serious damage even though they are just pygmy goats. That's why I disbud the babies. By the way, pygmy goat milk is absolutely DELICIOUS!
Alex is my wether. He is the one with the white muzzle. The other one, Midnight, is my doe.
100_0629.jpg

Silly Alex!
100_0635.jpg

I really love your goats though! They are so fluffy! What do you grow in your garden?

Riverpines wrote:
missyscove wrote:
I'm guessing you raise them for wool?

Admittedly I don't know that much about sheep, why would you not dock their tails?
All my sweethearts are for wool, except the chickens, oh and the dogs and the cats. :D

Because I hate inflicting pain on animals for no good reason based on my own opinions of what things are done and the whys.
I dont believe in docking dogs tails or ears either.

I personally dont have a reason to do it. No probs with flystrike as my herd is small enough to keep their tails sheared and they are not being raises in a production, commercial like manner.
They live outside is the fresh air. They dont get locked up in barns where there is over crowding and probs from that.
They eat real food like hay, and grain, not commercial processed products. So their poo is normal and does not stick to their wool, it falls clear.
I also hate factory farming!! Can you tell? ;)
I dont have any reason to dock tails, aka strangle them with a band till they rot and fall off or cut them off and burn the raw flesh.
That would all hurt!!!!

So know I dont believe in docking tails for our sheep or any other animal. :)
I dont disbud horned animals either.

We may farm and we do eat some of our animals but I am a big believer in treating animals, even if they are food, as best you can. They deserve comfort and as much normalcy as they can get no matter what their purpose. They dont deserve any more pain in their living time than whats truely needed like vaccines. I always feel quilty at the yearly vaccination time around here. I appologize like crazy and give extra cuddles everytime I have to poke a critter. :(

This was all well said. I have five sheep whom are pets, and I have 11 goats. I milk three does for our own use for drinking and cheesemaking, and soap. We don't eat any of our animals, but I buy all my meat from local farms so I know how the animals were raised and what they were fed. I hate factory farms and that's whyI hate buying meat in the grocery store. Who knows where it came from? I eat the eggs from my hens.

I also don't dock tails, they get sheared in the summer and I've never, ever had a problem like you....and all my kids that get neutered get done by the Vet and they get knocked out for it, and then pain meds after, no banding. and I don't disbud.

Your animals are adorable and I really enjoyed the pictures!

Latest posts

Back