Some important questions about bonding bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have some questions regarding Rory's girlfriend-to-be (the earliest he'd get a girlfriend is next May or June, so we have a while yet).

1) If bunnies are bonded, do they love their owner less and want to be with them less? I would of course be willing to sacrifice some bunny love so Rory could have a friend, but I want him to still like me. I will have had a good amount of time with Rory before bringing in another bun so I'm sure we'll be great buddies by then, plus I plan to do the intros slowly and spend lots of time with the new bunny so she'll like me, too.

2) There's a chance that Rory just might not get to pick his girlfriend personally. There aren't lots of bunnies at the shelter here and I don't think he'd appreciate a 6 hour one way drive to Anchorage or Wasilla, then an overnight stay, to pick out a lady. I read that you should try to pick a submissive bunny if you have a dominant one (I'm not sure yet if Rory's submissive or dominant, he hasn't been here long enough). But other than that, if I pick his lady myself, what are the chances that I will be able to bond them? I want two bunnies because I love bunnies and want two little darlings, but I do want them to be buds as well.

3) Rory weighs about 5 pounds. He's fairly small compared to a lot of bunnies (though he may still be growing). I'm interested in possibly getting a Netherland Dwarf or dwarf mix or other small girlfriend bunny because I had a dwarf in the past and I loved his personality. If Rory is bigger than her, do I need to worry more about her being injured by him?

Thanks everyone, you're so helpful!

1) I hate to say it, but since Cleo came, I haven't been as close to Phinn. I know he would float away from me, so I knew it was coming. Pretty much, right now he would choose her over me, but as long as he is happy, im happy. I was so close with him before we got Cleo, because he went everywhere with me. I was ALWAYS with him, and now i can't give him very much one on one time.

2) Bonding is pretty much a guessing game, but some members say you can bond any bunnies if you are determind to. Phinn and Cleo hadn't met at all or anything before I rescued Cleo, and they get along great!

3) As for size, it doesn't matter. A couple of pounds wont make that much of a difference. Phinn and Cleo have a little size difference, and I think Phinn tries to gain weight so he can be bigger than Cleo :muscleman: Maybe Peg will tune in on this one, I know she had a Flemish and a Nethie bonded!

Good luck, oh and we need more Rory pics :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back