Solo Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one rabit vs two

• Total voters

Wilbur'sMum

Reaction score
Hey Rabbit co owners, I have my lovely Rex Rabbit Wilbur, who is only young. I am tossing up whether or not to get him a friend. He gets morning runs in the house and evening runs ( so spends roughly 6 hours as a indoor rabbit supvised with my two small dogs and cat ( who are friendly but do like to follow him around because he is an interesting character) But when its a nice day and not hot or cold he has an outdoor run thats got lots of play items but is pet free other than him, Though at the moment he shows no signs of being bored or loney ( and he is excited to see me when i get home) I am worries I am being a bad mum for not having a friend. Just wondering peoples experience with having one bun bun vs two. Thanks in advance :)

He does not sound bored, but I don't think it will hurt to get another rabbit. I would only suggest another rabbit if he is neutered and if you adopt a spayed female rabbit. Male/male bonds are not common to work out. I also suggest adopting from a local rescue since there are lots of rabbits in rescues just waiting for a home.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

You definitely do not need another bunny. It sounds as though he gets plenty of time with you and other animals. Currently I have a bonded pair and comparing to a single, I can tell they are a lot better off for my home. Bonded pairs don't need you as much, which is the one down side to a bond. But you can supply that connection with your single rabbit instead of bonding.

Thankyou :) I was worried if I got another rabbit it would brake our bond, I do like how he runs to me when he sees me!
You definitely do not need another bunny. It sounds as though he gets plenty of time with you and other animals. Currently I have a bonded pair and comparing to a single, I can tell they are a lot better off for my home. Bonded pairs don't need you as much, which is the one down side to a bond. But you can supply that connection with your single rabbit instead of bond

He does not sound bored, but I don't think it will hurt to get another rabbit. I would only suggest another rabbit if he is neutered and if you adopt a spayed female rabbit. Male/male bonds are not common to work out. I also suggest adopting from a local rescue since there are lots of rabbits in rescues just waiting for a home.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
Oh, I should probably clarify I don't mean you have to get one soon. But please keep in mind that rabbits are very social animals and normally do best in pairs.

You really don't need to feel guilty. You seem to spend plenty of time with your rabbit, plus if your bun gets along with and has a good relationship with your other animals, rabbits can also enjoy their company. And rabbits pretty much sleep during the day anyways, so don't really require being entertained during that time.

But if you feel your bun could benefit from having a bunny companion, then yeah go for it. But do keep in mind that bonding isn't always a simple process and can even be quite difficult sometimes. And it's also good to be prepared for possible changes in the dynamics of how your bun is with you and your other animals. That's not saying the bond will be a difficult one or that things will change, just that they can and do sometimes, so best to be aware of these possibilities before making your final choice.

That said, my rabbits are a bonded group, so I do know the benefits of them having companionship of their own species. But I also don't have a lot of one on one time with them, so mine need that companionship of being bonded.

Back