solid floor pens instead of cages?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treasuresandstuff

Reaction score
What can be used as the floor for pen style cages? I mean if I build with wire and want to turn the floors solid what can I use? Eventually I want my rabbits on solid floors I just think it will be better when they are spay/neutered.

I am trying to plan ahead and get the supplies together while working on getting them altered.

You can place a plastic mat over the wire. Gives them something to stand one, while the poops can still drop through. that is, if wire is to be used on the bottom.

We plan to upgrade them to a pen style cage once both are altered and bonded. The plans are for a minimum of 6 x 4 ft floor space. It will be solid bottomed with at least 3 high backed litter pans and two hay racks. The wire bottoms are just temporary to keep them ok until every thing is ready for them and they can bond. Burnie already has shown an interest in her and groomed her nose through the NIC cubes :)

I'm not a big fan of corroplast, plastic pet store cages, linoleum or any other smooth surfaces for floors unless they're covered with something else with more traction. 

I've been seeing that rabbits not getting enough traction not only feel insecure and ill at ease, they can have physical problems.   Even wire floors are healthier for most rabbits. 

I prefer wood, grass mats, vinyl mats, wire and/or carpet, preferably a combination of several of those surfaces.   Grass mats are probably the favorite, but they'd eat or pee on them (or both) so they don't last, and they can be hard to secure.  I've had rabbits get sore hocks from just a carpeted surface.  

Oddly enough, right now I'm using rocks, and they love them.  A store close by was closing out and had these mesh and rubber mats with flat stones glued on to them.  I've got them on my corroplast floors and my rabbits love them.

My pink-eyed white guy is always really reluctant to jump down onto the floor from his upper floors of his condo when the white corroplast is showing.   He did better with it covered by grass mats, but the rock mats have given him a whole new confidence.

Ditto with the 'bathroom buns'. 

Mister and Darry live in a converted bathroom with a linoleum floor and plywood and carpet covering the tub.  Mister in particular I think came from a single story small breeder cage and isn't a very good 'hopper.'  He was constantly doing nose plants into the edge of the plastic hay tray when he went to jump in, and he was falling when he tried to jump onto the covered tub.  AND he was getting sore hocks.

I put two of the rock mats over the linoleum and a couple more over the carpet/wood on the tub and now he's happily launching himself all over the place. 

And his sore hocks cleared right up!

sas :rabbithop

Thank you for the info! I will look into giving them areas of different surface types to give them stimulation and confidence. I think the more varied their home the happier they are so this info is very helpful.

I had a friend that knew someone who ran a plastics shop and I got two huge sheets of good stuff for free! It's basically plastic board. It's been a great flooring!:D

The other solid floor option that could possibly work if your bun isn't a chewer are those interlocking sponge mats used in daycares.

Another alternative is using pegboard ziptied to an existing wire cage bottom :)

Saddly Burnie is a nibbler. Not really a heavy duty chewer but he will nibble about everything until he is 100% sure its not food. Diamond is too lady like for that lol. All of this info is really great and my idea for their new enclosure once they are both altered and bonded is really taking shape :)

Any tips on putting in a door on a pen style cage? If I use zip ties on one side can I use one of those c shaped closure things with a twisty close on it to hold the door shut? The things I am talking about were big a few years ago for kids to use as key chains and on their backpacks. I think they are used alot as bird toy parts?

Thanks! I had no clue what it was called and felt so silly writing up that description. But I am glad you knew what I meant. I will be sure to post photos when I have it done. I think I am going to start on it soon.

Latest posts

Back